Author Topic: Byzantine Empire: Justinian I (527-565 CE) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 158)  (Read 325 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
I enjoy trying to figure these out. I do think this is a Michael IV from around 1034-1041 AD...not in the best condition :-(  about 30mm and 14.7g.  Looks like a CON mint.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:15:12 PM by Quant.Geek »
The Chief...aka Greg

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Michael IV
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
Byzantine for sure. Can't see enough of the text to match it against coins in Wildwinds. As for the mint, I read ER.. There is in any case a horizontal bar in the first letter that makes it something else than a C.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:26:29 AM »
I'm seeing CON on the mint but my eyes could be wrong.  She is in pretty rough shape, though.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:53:53 PM »
Catching up on some of the posts.  A good reference on Byzantine coins are the following two, which are free.  The Dumbarton Oaks volume is the absolute must.  It is the definitive authority on later Byzantine coins as the earlier volumes were written prior to Sear's book.  But in either case, it is an excellent reference.

Early Byzantine Copper Coins
Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection - Volume 1
Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection - Volume 2
Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection - Volume 3
Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection - Volume 4
Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection - Volume 5

Given that, your coin is not a Michael IV follis, but much earlier:

Byzantine Empire: Justinian I (527-565 CE) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 158; DOC 28; MIBE 84)

Obv: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVG; Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right
Rev: Large M between star and a cross, cross above; beneath, B; CON in exergue

and as a comparison, with Michael IV, the introduction of Anonymous-type Follis was in place and as such, there are no Folles with his portrait:

Byzantine Empire: Æ Anonymous Class C Follis, Attributed to Michael IV (Sear-1825)

Obv: EMMA NOVHL around, IC-XC to right and left of Christ, with nimbate cross behind head, three-quarter length figure standing, raising right hand, holding book of gospels in left
Rev: IC-XC/NI-KA in the angles of a jeweled cross with dot at each end

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:07:11 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.