Author Topic: Please identify this rupee  (Read 197 times)

Offline jsalgado

Please identify this rupee
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
Countermark "PM" on Indian Rupee from king Carlos I to Mozambique.
Olease identify the indian rupee. Many thanks for your help.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Please identify this rupee
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 08:13:28 PM »
The Rupee is Bengal Presidency, Murshidabad
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »
A very similar counterstamp - but not on this coin - is listed by Gomes in Moedas Portuguesas, ISBN 972-97804-1-2 (2003 edition) under Moçambique, D. Carlos 01 - 09. Gomes notes (Google translation from the Portuguese original):

This stamp began at the end of the reign of D. Luis I, replacing the crowned stamp, and for the same purpose.

Currencies of another type or dates that are not indicated in this relation, will have the same value, relative to the prices indicated above. When the stamp occurs in coins dated after 1895, it is at least suspect

Which shows a) there are similar counterstamps on other coins and b) there are forgeries. Take into account that the counterstamps were applied 1888-1895 and the host coins listed are dated 1835-1892. Your coin seems an early outlier. On the  bright side, most coins shown are British Indian, including several rupees, that were, however, lighter than your coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline jsalgado

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 12:07:51 PM »
Peter, many thanks!
weight the coin is 12,37 g and size 27mm
The description of the coin will be able being (?)
Rupee ND - // 19 mintname Murshidabad Shah AlamII Badshad
mark "S" at upper left
The apposition of the stamp will have to be previous to 1888 so the date of
coin will have to be also previous to 1888.
Completely correct is this?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »
It is not so simple. The problem is that a counterstamp is very easy to imitate and that this counterstamp would increase the potential sales price of the coin considerably, so faking the counterstamp would be very profitable. Gomes' remark shows that fakes exist.

I do not have the expertise to see if the counterstamp is genuine. There is no LOGICAL argument why it must be a fake, but that doesn't prove that it is genuine. In addition, the counterstamp is quite generic. Two letters that can mean anything. My id may therefore be wrong.

One reason for doubt is that Gomes shows a number of coins with this counterstamp, but they are different coins in the sense that they were all struck later. Many counterstamps occur on British Indian rupees. However, those coins are lighter. I other words, I can imagine that the counterstamp is genuine, but I can also imagine that it is a fake or something else altogether.

You need to consult someone who has more expertise.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Henk

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 05:25:50 PM »
I do not see the "s" mark, which would make it Pridmore 176. Similar, but without "s" is Pridmore 172. Both types have straight graining and a weight of 12,43 grams. They seem to have been struck from 1819 to 1830.