Author Topic: Aurangzeb. Rupee. Mint: Junagadh - Coin with RY on boths sides and no AH date.  (Read 308 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
I recently saw this curious coin put up in an auction. Curious because, I had a coin with the date 1075 / 5 - a mis-matched date but still a good coin early in the reign of Aurangzeb while this coin showed the date which looked like 0517.... so I thought may be it was an error engraving for 1075.

When I got the coin in hand, I now see that the coin has the RY engraved on both sides - where the RY normally is and also at the place where the AH date was engraved in a similar coin dated 1074 / 5.

I would love to get some feed back if this was indeed an occurrence which did happen (even if rarely) or was this a unique case? I have seen dates with digits inter changed (61 instead of 16 etc), truncated gates (89 for 1089), placement of AH and RY interchanged etc., but do not remember having ever seen a coin with RY engraved twice.

I upload the image of the coin recently picked up by me.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
The image of the two similar coins - one is mine while the other one is Jan Lingen's coin from ZENO - I too have a similar coin.

Amit

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Hi Amit ji,
This indeed is a very rare error! It is amazing how we start seeing things when we know where and what to look! An excellent catch!! It is postulated that the dates were added later to the dies. Perhaps this pair had the ry engraved on both sides.
Wonderful!
Dr.Abhishek

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Thanks Abhishek. I do agree that there exists a possibility that the dies were engraved without dates and the dates were added later. May be some one at the mint goofed up and may be in drunken or drugged stupor, engraved the RY on both dies of the pair....... However, it does not answer the following query................ .
I would love to get some feed back if this was indeed an occurrence which did happen (even if rarely) or was this a unique case? I have seen dates with digits inter changed (61 instead of 16 etc), truncated gates (89 for 1089), placement of AH and RY interchanged etc., but do not remember having ever seen a coin with RY engraved twice.

Amit

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member

I upload the image of the coin recently picked up by me.

Amit

I have seen few coins of Aurangzeb with Chakhan (pune) with AH  year on both  obverse and reverse without  Ry .Will find and share images one coin from  my collection is available. Aurangzeb Alamgir, Rupee, Islamabad (Chakan) Mint at Top
Interestingly both obverse and Reverse has Ah date  1076 Ry(7)
Ah (10)76  at 8 o'clock on Obverse
Ah (10)76  at 9 o' clock on Reverse.

Your's coin is having Ry on both sides.

In my opinion such occurrences not happened occasionally this we can safely say as rare occurrences for such particular cases.

Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:55:57 AM by Coinsforever »
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Thanks. Indeed a help.

Amit

Offline parimal

Even Aurangzeb Rupee of Junagadh mint have combination of AH year on both obverse and reverse (AH1087/AH1086) which is also listed in KM#

Below is an example with the date (10)87 at top on obverse and 1086 at top on reverse

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
This is a major error. Two different AH dates on the same coin.

Amit

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Even Aurangzeb Rupee of Junagadh mint have combination of AH year on both obverse and reverse (AH1087/AH1086) which is also listed in KM#

Below is an example with the date (10)87 at top on obverse and 1086 at top on reverse

Indeed a perfect example representing minting errors and dies with combination of  two years.
Congratulations for it.
Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/