Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 443 times)

Offline coin_lover

Coconut Oil
« on: May 07, 2019, 12:42:13 AM »
Is coconut oil good for copper coins, this is the same oil which people apply on hair.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »
Never tried it. Read the label. In general, fat is fine for copper, acid is not, but traces of acid don't matter all that much.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »
Tried to fine some scientific studies on that matter. There are quite some studies on its effect on steel. Not very much on its effect on copper, bronze and silver. However, while there is not much evidence of positive effects, there also is not much to be found on possible negative effects. So best advice might be just to try on cheap coins you already gave up on anyhow.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 12:34:11 PM »
Most small dealers and collectors habitually leave copper coins with encrustations or mud in coconut oil for a long time (if required). Seems it has an almost similar effect as Olive oil on coins. It removes the grime, dirt, dust and some greens but leaves the coins almost undamaged.

Amit

PS: I personally do not use it - but I also do not use Olive Oil. I use the Soda mix which I find has a better result.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Gavema

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »
Amit ji, can you please explain what is soda mix, it's preparation and usage?

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
Amit ji, can you please explain what is soda mix, it's preparation and usage?
Look up the posts started by Bruce, our Moderator and expert on coin cleaning on this very board. I am grateful to him for having shared his secrets and knowledge on cleaning coins. They have been very helpful and I have benefited immensely from following his advice.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"