Author Topic: Afghanistan - Durrani, Ahmad Shah, AH 1170, yr 9 - Rupe, Multan mint  (Read 110 times)

Offline maudry

• Meritorious Member
This one was not too difficult.
Regnal year 9 though is a little surprising to me. It should be 10 or 11 as AH1160 is year 1 if my maths are correct...
KM#643 if I am not mistaken.

Size: 22mm
Weight: 11.32gr

Online aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear maudry, your coin details:
Afghanistan, Durrani Ahmad Shah, 1170 AH, AR Rupi, dar al-Aman Multan mint (AH 1168-1186/ 1747-1772 AD)
Obverse couplet: " حکم شد ازقادربیجون باحمد بادشاه سکه زن برسیم وزرازا وجماهی تابماه , Hukm shud za qadir-i bu-chun ba Ahmad padshah sikka zan bar sim wa zar az awj-i mahi ta ba mah, meaning, The order came from the Peerless Powerful One to King Ahmad to strike coin on gold and silver from the ascension of Fish to the Moon. Date is " 1170 ۱۱۷۰ ", above the word " bar sim برسیم ".
Reverse: ميمنت مانوس  ضرب دار الامان ملتان  سنه ۹, " zarb dar al-Aman Multan sanat 9 julus maimanat manus" (Struck at Multan, the Seat of Safety, in year 9).

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
meaning, The order came from the Peerless Powerful One to King Ahmad to strike coin on gold and silver from the ascension of Fish to the Moon.
Maythem

The ascension of Fish to the Moon, does that mean the month when the coin was struck?

-- Paul

Online aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Paul; what is meant by fish is the sea, so "ascension of Fish to the Moon", means," rising from sea (earth) to the moon (sky)". This is a typical problem in translation trying to reflect the real meaning of the couplet.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".