Author Topic: ANCIENT GREEK GOLD ELECTRUM UNCERTAIN COIN CIRCA 500-300 BC  (Read 155 times)

Offline DanielRusev1

Hello again, guys.

Apologies for bothering you. Please, help me identify this coin, which is showing a woman looking left on the obverse. I have no idea from which period (it was posted 500-300 BC in the description, but i am not certain) or where it was minted. I looked many gold/silver electrums  from archaic period, but never encountered this or similar image.

Weight : 2.56gr
Size : 11mm

With regards,

Daniel
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:50:57 PM by DanielRusev1 »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: ANCIENT GREEK GOLD ELECTRUM UNCERTAIN COIN CIRCA 500-300 BC
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
I think it is pretending to be an archaic style hekte (1/6 stater) of Phocaea similar to this one: Phokaia EL - Phokaia (BC 521-478) B23 - EL 1/6 Stater - Asia Minor Coins - Photo

Unless you got it from a reputable dealer and paid a lot for it (this one sold for $26,000 :o  :o) I am sorry to say I would assume it is not genuine.

Alan

Offline DanielRusev1

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
I bought it for a lot less from ebay dealer ancientground, but still no small sum - it seemed genuine as too many people bidded at the time and it was not researched... i really don't know. It looks completely different that the one you posted.

Do you think it's best to return it right away before 30 day return policy period passes?

With regards

Offline DanielRusev1

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
I researched his feedback and sells before i bought and he sold a lot of gold electrums in the range of 300-500 GBP and everybody left like a positive comment. Knew it's too good to be true. I am confused how it's possible nobody for last years not to understand if he is selling fakes, unless he is buying them himself from different accounts trying to catch fish.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
A large part of the feedback of this seller is from genuine cheap coins. I also bought from them in the past with no problems and left positive feedback. Part of the trick to keep good feedback is to quickly resolve any objections a buyer may have. So he will likely not give you any problem if you return the coin.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 07:33:27 PM »
Just an idea for a business model:

- get some high quality fakes of sought-after coins
- find an auction platform thatīs more interested in turnover than honesty
- find some good old friends who like chill bidding, sometimes buy your crap and improve your rating, but they will always get the money back as you will get your fake back
- find some buyers who know the type but donīt know the fakes of this type
- wait for the `greed erodes mindī effect
- if buyers are disappointed: I heard about methods to calm them down or intimidate them.

>:D

Offline DanielRusev1

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Really thought it was real. And the weight and diameter were right... Sometimes people learn the hard way.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
Just an idea for a business model:

- get some high quality fakes of sought-after coins
- find an auction platform thatīs more interested in turnover than honesty
- find some good old friends who like chill bidding, sometimes buy your crap and improve your rating, but they will always get the money back as you will get your fake back
- find some buyers who know the type but donīt know the fakes of this type
- wait for the `greed erodes mindī effect
- if buyers are disappointed: I heard about methods to calm them down or intimidate them.

>:D

Sounds a good business plan....
SAXBYS Coins - NOTICE OF INTENT
Print Page - SAXBYS-COINS Scammer is crying to remove negative feedback which I
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....