Author Topic: Afghanistan, rupee of Shah Zaman, Ahmadshahi, 1214 H  (Read 122 times)

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Afghanistan, rupee of Shah Zaman, Ahmadshahi, 1214 H
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:40:43 PM »
An interesting rupee of Shah Zaman.

Zaman used two standard couplets during his reign, designated 'First couplet' and 'Second couplet'. On this issue from Ahmadshahi (Qandahar) he gets full value by using the 'First couplet' on the obverse and adding the 'Second couplet' as a marginal inscription round the mint on the reverse.

Shah Zaman, rupee, Ashraf al-Bilad Ahmadshahi (Qandahar), 1214 H, ry 7 (1799), Whitehead 752, KM B134, Album 3108A, 11.42 gm, 23 mm.

Alan

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Afghanistan, rupee of Shah Zaman, Ahmadshahi, 1214 H
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 11:31:04 PM »
Dear Alan, your post was the 1000th topic !  :thumbsup:  :applause: perfectly illustrated with this remarkable coin   :perfect:
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 05:32:24 AM »
Quite so, saro. Your board is an amazing feature of WoC. Maythem and you have made it into a delightful lesson in history through numismatics plus an ongoing, relaxed lesson in reading the coins.

This is an area that is virtually ignored in European schools. This board shows its refined culture and its complicated structure in the best way known to coin collectors. It does its little bit to promote mutual understanding by showing beauty. It is indeed fitting that this milestone is reached with yet another eye-popping coin from Manzikert. We are all discovering here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »
Thank you Peter.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »
Dear Alan, your coin details:
Afghanistan, Shah Zaman, AH 1214/ Yr 7, AR Rupi, Ashraf al-Bilad Ahmadshahi (Qandahar) mint (AH 1207-1216/ 1793-1801 AD)
Observe:
Field
قرار یافت  بحکم خدای هر دوجهان رواج سکه دولت بنام شاه زمان
“qarar yaft bi-hukm-i khuda-yi, har du jahan rawaj-i, sikka-yi dawlat bi-nam-i shah-i zaman”.
“The coin of the realm was gained currency by the order of the Lord of Both Worlds in the name of the King of the Age”.
with patterns of flowers and dots interspersed among the legend.
Reverse:
Field
ضرب اشرف البلاد أحمد شاهى سنه ۷ جلوس ميمنت مانوس \ ۱۲۱۴

Zarb Ashrafu-l-bilad Ahmad Shahi Sanah 7 julus maimanat manus
Struck at Ahmadshahi, the Most Noble of the Cities, in the year 7 of the accession associated with tranquil prosperity. Date is “ 1214 ۱۲۱۴ “ above the word “ Zarb ضرب “.
Shah Zaman was the fifth of Timur Shah Durrani twenty-three sons, nearly all by different mothers, in a country where the right of succession depended on the ability to defeat and kill one’s brothers before they did the same to you.

Maythem

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »
Thank you as always Maythem for the very useful transcription and translation.

Afghanistan never seems to have been truly united, and with 23 possible claimants it must have been a very turbulent succession :o

Alan

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 03:08:43 AM »
Thank you Alan

Maythem