Author Topic: Case of a wrong legend  (Read 335 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Case of a wrong legend
« on: May 03, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
India changed from Non decimal ( 1 Rupee = 64 Pice) to decimal ( 1 Rupee = 100 Paise) in 1957.
The world Paisa for singular and paise for plural was already in vogue in local language (Hindi).
( Note that word Paisa is same for singular as well as plural in Pakistan as well as Nepal and with different accent, in Bangladesh)
( Also note that no coins in smaller denomination are minted any longer in any of these 4 countries.
However, in English, the word used was Pice.
Keeping in view, to make distinction in local language, the word used on coins was Naya Paisa ( new paisa or paise, as the case may be).
After 6 years of remaining new, it was decided that the paisa was no longer new and it was decided to put actual denomination in words in Hindi on coins.

In 1961, while designing Hindi typewriter and teleprinter, some modifications were officially carried our in font of Devnagari script ( in which many languages of India like Sanskrit, Marathi, Sindhi, Rajasthani etc. apart from Hindi are written). One of them was related to doubling of letters.
( Incidentally, the person who did this, Mr Suraj Mal Aggarwal,  was awarded four highest civic award, Padma Shri)

In 1964, when coins were issued, it was found that 25 Paise coin used old script. It was amended in 1965.

Strangely, this misspelt ( technically) coin is neither considered an error nor is  assigned a separate KM# number.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: Case of a wrong legend
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
Thanks for the post. Interesting observation. I guess SCWC has not catalogued quite a few variations.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 07:20:36 AM »
Thanks for the post. Interesting observation. I guess SCWC has not catalogued quite a few variations.

I do not blame SCWC since their editors for India for that period Late Brian Hannon and Paul Baker (member of this group) was/ is not Hindi literate.
Even the recent books on Republic of India coins, Sainath Redappa and Arpit Gupta ( member of this group) have failed to appreciate this significant difference.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »
Quite a few die variety in republic India are to be catalogued. I had started it but yet to complete 25 paise to lower denomination.

Hopefully in few years time there should be a good book or site.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
Gentlemen,

Feel free to use my CoinBrothers | World Coins Catalog & Swap Service if you need a place where to write down all varieties.

Best regards,
Alexander
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 10:55:50 AM »
I did not play any particular role with Republic Indian coins - I mainly informed them about new issues and the varieties with some of those.

However I can see that SCWC has given the 1964 type a different number for many years, even before the whole section was re-numbered. (Now KM-48.1 versus KM-48.2 and earlier KM-587 and KM-594.)

But the most important difference between the 1964 pieces and those that followed is not mentioned in the books and that is the spelling difference that you have detailed.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:56:03 AM by africancoins »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 11:18:30 AM »
Quite a few die variety in republic India are to be catalogued. I had started it but yet to complete 25 paise to lower denomination.

Hopefully in few years time there should be a good book or site.

Looking forward to that

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 11:28:05 AM »
I did not play any particular role with Republic Indian coins - I mainly informed them about new issues and the varieties with some of those.

However I can see that SCWC has given the 1964 type a different number for many years, even before the whole section was re-numbered. (Now KM-48.1 versus KM-482. and earlier KM-587 and KM-594.)

But the most important difference between the 1964 pieces and those that followed is not mentioned in the books and that is the spelling difference that you have detailed.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

The renumbering did result in some loss of information and knowledge and Brian could not satisfactorily explain to me as to why did he undertake that. Perhaps, Colin Bruce wanted British India and Republic of India to be separate.
There was ( and still is, if SCWC 2020 gets published) no uniform policy. They split Ceylon from Sri Lanka but did not split USSR and Russia.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 08:22:58 PM »
The KM-48.1 versus KM-48.2 are more of standard Lion variety in the Indian coinage

Offline kansal888

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 01:22:53 PM »

In 1961, while designing Hindi typewriter and teleprinter, some modifications were officially carried our in font of Devnagari script ( in which many languages of India like Sanskrit, Marathi, Sindhi, Rajasthani etc. apart from Hindi are written). One of them was related to doubling of letters.
( Incidentally, the person who did this, Mr Suraj Mal Aggarwal,  was awarded four highest civic award, Padma Shri)

In 1964, when coins were issued, it was found that 25 Paise coin used old script. It was amended in 1965.

Strangely, this misspelt ( technically) coin is neither considered an error nor is  assigned a separate KM# number.

Dear Pabitra Ji

Thanks for the interesting insight.

Regards
Sanjay Kansal