Author Topic: Satavahanas: Satkarni I, 200 BC, Copper, Unusual flan like Undivided India Map!!  (Read 145 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Satavahanas, Satakarni I, 200 BC, Copper, 3.17g, Nasik Lion type

Obv: Bold Swastika with brahmi legend “Sri Sati” on top

Rev: Bold Ujjain symbol

This is the Nasik Lion type coin with broken/chipped parts giving it a most unusual flan shape like the map of Undivided India! See attached pic of coin atop map of Undivided India for comparison!!

As we celebrated Maharashtra Day recently (Wed, 01 May), and the Satavahanas rule encompassed Maharashtra, it is most appropriate to dedicate this coin to the brave land of the Marathas.

Perhaps our ancestors had foreseen the geographic territories of “Akhand Bharat” (Undivided India) thousands of years back before it actually materialized !!!

Jai Bharat! Jai Hind! Jai Maharashtra!
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I enjoyed your comparative interpretation of the shape of the coin, but I must admit it reminds me of the Turin shroud.  Nevertheless, as I explained to my eldest granddaughter, who was disappointed when she had to be told that le Père Noel (santa claus) does not exist: whether he exists or not, you can still have a wonderful time at the party.

In addition, it's an interesting coin. I spotted a swastika, but not a lion. Where does it hide?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
The Lion is unfortunately not on the flan, it should have been at the broken bit at bottom!
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Ah, I think I found the Nasik lion. It fits right into your map, but ik broke away. :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

Wonderful piece of history 8)
The Chief...aka Greg