Author Topic: Western China 1929  (Read 103 times)

Offline milkshakespeare

Western China 1929
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:39:02 PM »
Some time ago I was fortunate enough to add the fantastic Numizmatika Belarusi by dr. Valentin Ryabtsevich to my numismatic library.

In this wonderful book, the author tells that the Leningrad Mint of the USSR minted coins for Mongolia and Persia in the 1920's and for "Western China" in 1929. I'm very familiar with the Mongolian and Persian coins minted in Leningrad, but the western Chinese coins are a complete mystery to me. I have gone through several general catalogues which list coins from the western provinces of China, and most of these coins are way too crude to have been minted in Leningrad.

Can anyone help me? Which "Western Chinese" coins were minted in Leningrad?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Western China 1929
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
To understand the political background in China, read this lemma. It shows that the Soviet government and the ruling cliques of China were not on friendly terms, as the communist party of China (CPC) had been driven out of power. It follows that in 1929, no coins were struck in Leningrad for the official government.

Looking at communist coins for China in this period, there is an obvious candidate for coins struck in Leningrad. Look in KM under the heading "Chinese Soviet Republic", sub-heading "Consolidated Soviet Republic. The 1 cent (Y 506 and 506a) and 2 cents (Y 507 and 507a) look better struck than the provincial issues that follow and the style of the wreath looks Soviet (compare Russia Y 91 and 92); it looks like wheat, not rice. The coins are undated. KM says ca. 1932, probably based on Y 508, which is dated 1932 or 1933. I could imagine that they were struck looking generic and without date in 1929 just in case and were issued only as the CPC needed them, presumably during the long march.

The problem with the above speculation is that KM thinks that the "consolidated Soviet republic" is Kiangsi, which is in South, not West China.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.