Author Topic: Danish central bank's jubilee publications  (Read 140 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Danish central bank's jubilee publications
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:27:19 PM »
Last year the Danish central bank (Nationalbanken) celebrated its 200th anniversary - and also issued a few publications on that occasion. Some of them can be had in English too, see the overview, such as "Danmarks Nationalbank 1818-2018".

If you look at the Danish version of that page however, you will notice a book which is a free download as well but can only be had in Danish: Denar til daler - Danmarks mønthistorie indtil 1550. So "From the denar to the taler - Denmark's coin history until 1550". Rough translation from the preface: "This book is about the history of money in Denmark from roughly 150 to 100 BCE until the introduction of the taler in the mid-16th century." More than 500 pages, lots of images ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Danish central bank's jubilee publications
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
Excellent, thank you! Got my copy. Many finger-licking good pictures. It is not a catalogue, but rather a series of articles on Danish numismatics.

The text is a bit frustrating, though. If you speak German, you can guess what the text is about and sometimes you get close to guessing a whole sentence. Google translate is of quite limited use. The software cleverly uses some kind of OCR and guesses the letters quite well, but it makes a mess of spaces between words. You have to put the copy/paste text and the original side by side and make the corrections before something sensible comes out of Google translate. OK for a paragraph, hopeless for a page.

Nevertheless, It sits on my hard desk now and I am not planning to delete it. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.