Author Topic: Which olive oil  (Read 632 times)

Offline coin_lover

Which olive oil
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
What kind of olive oil is good for cleaning coins - extra virgin, or justnplain olive oil, any specific brand?
Thanks

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Which olive oil
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »
The whole point is to avoid excessive acids. Olive oil with "lemon juice" or other foreign stuff added is no good. Olive oil is slightly acidic by itself. As a rule (Europe only) the more to the East it is produced, the less acidic it is - and the better it tastes - and vice versa. So Greek oil is the best (good luck on finding it and I would say it's too good to use on a coin), Portuguese the worst. Italian is OK, but beware, an Italian brand name does not mean the oil is Italian. The well-known Italian sounding brand names sell mostly Spanish oil. Study the small letters on the label.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:56:16 AM »
Figaro?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
An Italian barber or a Spanish olive oil, with as much as possible Algerian olive oil mixed in without being obliged to mention it on the label. No other additives. Fine for coins. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
I've found that for the less crusty coins distilled water works pretty well.  Soak for two to three weeks changing the water out every few days.  For olive oil I just use the cheap run of the mill stuff  ;D  (no lemon juice...learned my lesson with that!) 
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »
For what kind of cleaning issue do you need to use olive oil? IMHO it should be avoided in any case...

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:21 PM »
It all depends what the crust is. If it is mud, sand or something else that solves in water (e.g. salts), fine. You don't even need mineral water. If the crust is hardened fat, soap will solve it.

Warm water with soap is a perfectly good combination. For a chemical crust, acetone will do the trick. Olive oil softens dirt, takes off some green from copper and hastens the process of bringing back a natural colour on coppers and bronzes. I like to use it on dirty gold also. Rinse and dry well.

If the above doesn't work, the next step up is cracking the crust by heating the coin in boiling water, then plunging it in ice water. The metal and the crust expand and contract at different rates. I like to attack a cracked crust with a wooden toothpick. Others prefer dentistry scraping tools. Once the worst is gone, switch back to something less drastic.

A last resort is electrolysis. Don't salt the water and use low voltage battery power. Experiment on cheap coins first.

Oxides and the like are a story by themselves and so is bronze disease and similar problems on copper and aluminium. Read other threads on this board for more details.

Peter

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 09:22:55 AM »
As olive oil may contain salts and will contain acids for sure it should be avoided on coins.

Take it for your diet - i recommend salads or steamed vegetables with olive oil and bread.

On metals you better use weapons oil.

Regards

:)

Offline gpimper

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 10:43:35 PM »
Bread and olive oil for sure!  And garlic.  However, I use my gun oil on my guns...this is Texas after all ;-)  (would that work on coins?  I've never thought of that...that makes sense because it cleans our guns pretty well :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 11:42:19 PM »
Good to know, thank you!
The Chief...aka Greg