Author Topic: What is happening in Finland?  (Read 790 times)

Offline Angus

What is happening in Finland?
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
Was just directed to this page: Issuing programme - Mint of Finland

It seems that the Ministry of Finance's current contract with the Mint of Finland expired at the end of 2018 but they're not even tendering for a new contract until the end of August this year, which doesn't give much time to get the coins out during the rest of the year.  It describes the Ministry as the competent authority, not sure that is the right word.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: What is happening in Finland?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
Yes strange things happening although I do not believe foreign mints have any chance of winning the tender.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
Does indeed not sound very "smooth" to me. But they probably do not need make any new circulation coins these days anyway, apart from the special pieces for collectors maybe

From what I have read, there will still be collector coins this year. At emuenzen.de this link to a design competition (in Finnish only) was posted last month; here is Google's translation into English. And that gold coin will apparently be produced by the Mint of Finland.

(Side note: the language abbreviation "En" on a page in Finnish apparently translates to "I do not". :) )

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:23:25 PM »
It describes the Ministry as the competent authority, not sure that is the right word.

Competent here is not standard English but bureaucratese.
It does not indicate any competence but indicates that Ministry alone is authorised to award this work.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
I've been visiting the Mint of Finland recently. They are not planning to issue any commemorative coins this year, unfortunately.
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline Angus

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
Apparently today is the deadline for tenders to mint Finland's coins so we should find out soon who got the job.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Anyway, new Finnish commemorative 2 Euro 2019 were announced recently. The ugly one, but new :)
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline Angus

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »
Dear customer,

Mint of Finland has won the Ministry of Finance’s public tender for the production of Finnish circulation euro coins, including €2 special coins. The contract period is from 1 June 2019 to 31 December 2022, and  includes an option for two-year extension. This agreement does not include the sale of coin sets and €2 special coins.

The Ministry of Finance’s tender for the sale and marketing of Finnish commemorative coins, coin sets and €2 special coins was won by Oy Nordic Moneta Ab. The contract between the Ministry of Finance and Nordic Moneta runs from 1 December 2019 to 31 December 2022, and includes an option for two one-year extensions. Their agreement also includes the production of Finnish commemorative coins.

Finnish euro commemorative coins and €2 special coins minted before 2019 may still be bought from Mint of Finland’s webshop and from retailers. According to information we have received from the Ministry of Finance, the €2 special coin for 2019 is not available for sale to collectors until further notice. The Ministry of Finance will announce separately whether or not other collector coin products, such as the Constitution Act of Finland 1919 special coin will be made available for sale this year.

In questions concerning the sale and issue of new Finnish special coins, we kindly ask you to contact the Ministry of Finance direct at valtiovarainministerio@vm.fi

Mint of Finland will continue to pursue its chosen strategy of focusing on international central bank customers. In 2018, exports of circulation coins and blanks accounted for 93% of the company’s revenue. Mint of Finland considers it important to overhaul the Finnish commemorative coin institution with a view to preserving the vitality of the commemorative coin business.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:04 PM »
Note that the term "commemorative coins" in that text does not refer to commemorative coins but to collector coins. ;) Commems are called "€2 special coins" there. As for those two types of coins, also see this post.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
From what I understand from the message of Angus and the press release of the government here first referred to by forum member Rasmus, Mint of Finland can no longer produce any products meant for sale to collectors. They may only still produce coins that will be released into general circulation (circulation coins and 2 euro commemoratives).

My interpretation of both communications is that all coins that will be sold to collectors like coins in annual sets, coins in coincards, coins of special qualities and collectors coins will be produced by a mint to be chosen by Nordic Moneta Ab.

I am still awaiting replies from Mint of Norway, Oy Nordic Moneta Ab and the Samlerhuset Group.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:24:43 PM by eurocoin »