Author Topic: What is happening in Finland?  (Read 504 times)

Offline Angus

What is happening in Finland?
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
Was just directed to this page: Issuing programme - Mint of Finland

It seems that the Ministry of Finance's current contract with the Mint of Finland expired at the end of 2018 but they're not even tendering for a new contract until the end of August this year, which doesn't give much time to get the coins out during the rest of the year.  It describes the Ministry as the competent authority, not sure that is the right word.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: What is happening in Finland?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
Yes strange things happening although I do not believe foreign mints have any chance of winning the tender.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
Does indeed not sound very "smooth" to me. But they probably do not need make any new circulation coins these days anyway, apart from the special pieces for collectors maybe

From what I have read, there will still be collector coins this year. At emuenzen.de this link to a design competition (in Finnish only) was posted last month; here is Google's translation into English. And that gold coin will apparently be produced by the Mint of Finland.

(Side note: the language abbreviation "En" on a page in Finnish apparently translates to "I do not". :) )

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:23:25 PM »
It describes the Ministry as the competent authority, not sure that is the right word.

Competent here is not standard English but bureaucratese.
It does not indicate any competence but indicates that Ministry alone is authorised to award this work.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
I've been visiting the Mint of Finland recently. They are not planning to issue any commemorative coins this year, unfortunately.
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline Angus

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
Apparently today is the deadline for tenders to mint Finland's coins so we should find out soon who got the job.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
Anyway, new Finnish commemorative 2 Euro 2019 were announced recently. The ugly one, but new :)
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps