Author Topic: Thoughts on this huns  (Read 390 times)

Offline Desibot

Thoughts on this huns
« on: April 21, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
Hi guys any thoughts on this huns coins please

Weight is 4.3grams

Thanks

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Thoughts on this huns
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Rather peculiar, it appears to have a ghost image of the bust on the reverse ???
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
The ghost image is not what is wrong with this coin. But it is a well known Fake !

Offline Desibot

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:41:28 PM »
Wow guys  i did not see the reverse
As you both did it was a blur to me i guess i got lot more to learn
Thankyou
The knecklace dots was bit suspect as it protruding more then the rest of the bust so i was bit suspicious about it 

Thanks you

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 12:20:12 PM »
The ghost image is not what is wrong with this coin. But it is a well known Fake !

The colour is a bit troubling, so it might easily be a pressure cast - but the clincher would be a twin or to.  Have you tracked any down?

Rob T

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
You may compare with the ones in this thread on Zeno.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 02:05:34 PM »
That coin seems to differ - especially on the reverse.

Pressure casts are of course taken from genuine coins - and I only find it easy to see twins when in hand to be sure of the match

However - see the two coins added to zeno a couple of days back - and still apparently on offer......................

ALCHON TURKS: Khingila, ca. 440-490, AR drachm (3.95g). VF - Stephen Album Rare

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 03:45:25 PM »
I linked to the Zeno thread because it gave access to several specimen.
Not to long ago i had about ten of these in my hands, all almost carbon copies, with the same color, identical die axe and same incuse impression on the reverse.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:00:29 AM »
Hard for me to come to a definitive conclusion on all these pieces from scans.  (I certainly would not advise buying any that look broadly like this)

But there are subtle differences in most of the pics I have seen so far, some of which seem quite possibly to be pre-cast manipulation, other perhaps post-cast manipulation.  If you have a scan of those you saw, it would be interesting to see those too.

Rob T

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 09:15:11 AM »
The one i saw in hand literally were just in hand for several minutes. There were some subtle differences between specimen but not enough to conceil that they had an identical origin with also some identical die marks. My mere suggestion of doubt resulted in a rather hostile respons of the seller. Enough for me to walk away.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 09:36:37 AM »
OK thanks.  Going back to the first specimen - the colour is looks awful!  However, it has a rather ragged flan, with what look like flan cracks.  These are not seen on the other specimens.

In hand, with a glass, I think it would be possible to see whether these are real cracks, or just casts of cracks.  That would be interesting.

Nearly 40 years ago I was introduced to an old man, who, as I recall,  smiled and said to me, "Find me a collector like Colonel Horton"........

Rob T

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »
Well documented type of fake..Usually comes as it is, but post-production manipulations, like clippings, notches, smoothing, etc., are not uncommon.
Once again - same die-axes is the main feature of these fakes (hence, most certainly, cast)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:37:14 PM by BACTRIANUMIS »