Author Topic: About detectorists and collectors  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
About detectorists and collectors
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »
This forum is about coin collecting. There are others out there that specialize on metal detecting. A good one is:

http://www.treasurequestxlt.com/community/

However, there's a close link between coin collecting and metal detection. Metal detector pilots often find ... coins! They're not the same as the coins in shops. The detectorist has made an effort to find them, so they have an emotional value, much like a coin with a good story about how you got it.

Coins found in the ground are often pretty worn. That's no reason to look down on them. They have another quality: they are great numismatic puzzles, challenges on how much you really know about coins. So be grateful for those dogs. Some coins are collecting quality and I have even seem some museum quality coins found by detectorists so don't forget: without collectors, all coins found would be worth scap only, but without detectorists, there wouldn't be new coins on the market you could add to your collections.

Give those detectorists a warm welcome, treat them well and help them with what they've found.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:30:38 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline King-of-counters

Re: About detectorists and collectors
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:28:33 AM »
I totally agree Peter.
Coins in my specialty have gotten so sought after lately that prices have tripled , quadrupled or better in the past 5 years. Dutch counters.
Especially the older counters, before let's say 1575 where getting really hard to find. But now new counters come on the market from the metal detectors and are very often still very nice and a much better deal.
 Greetings, Pieter... 8)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 04:36:54 PM by King-of-counters »
Counters are what I look for and study

Offline bubba

• detectorist
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:28:36 PM »
hi

I agree (I AM A metaldetecting guy) ;D

I have found a lot of coins in the years that i am searching (over 6000 coins). :o

most of the are in very bad condition (mostly the copper coins that are in bad condition). :-\
but I found a vieuw hundred good coins also.
and some of those are in great condition ( six of them are golden coins) ;D
also a lot of silver coins are in great condition ,and some bronze/copper coins are very collectable coins.
i give a lot of my coins to collectors (some say i am grazy ). :D

the soil condition ,is the factor that is the most important factor for the condition that the coins are  in when they are found .

so that,s my (litlle)story about my hobby. ::)

graetings from bubba ;D ;D

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 10:33:44 PM »
Bubba I have seen those beauties you have found. I can only dream of them and you pull them out of the mud. Don't hesitate to show what you've got if you're in the mood.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bubba

• detectorist
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 11:16:10 PM »
Bubba I have seen those beauties you have found. I can only dream of them and you pull them out of the mud. Don't hesitate to show what you've got if you're in the mood.

Peter

hi figleaf.

i,m always in the mood  (like you now) ;)

gr bubba ;D