Ghaznavid: Mahmud Dinar, Please help read the legends

Started by Overlord, April 14, 2019, 02:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Hi

Could someone help read the legends on this Dinar of Mahmud? With Dirhams, I can manage using the very helpful charts at Zeno, but cannot find any reference for these. It was attributed as Herat, AH418.

Weight=3.75 g

THCoins

Lower line of the center legend on the left is the name of the qaliph: al-Qadir bi'llah.
In the inner circle of the margin text on the left is the mint formula. The mint name Herat starts just left of six o'clock. Date is partly flat, but could be 418AH.

aws22

Dear Overlord & Anthony, please find hereunder the legend on this coin:
Ghaznavid, Sultan Mahmud, Citing Abbasid caliph al-Qadir billah, Gold Dinar, Herat mint (AH 389–421 /999–1030 AD)
First photo:
Field
عدل Adil
لا اله الا La Ilah Illa
الله وحده Allah Wahdahu
لا شريك له La Sharik Lahu
القادر بالله al-Qadir Billah
Inner margin:  بسم الله ضرب هذا الدينار بهراة سنه ثمانيه ...... واربعمائه
Outer margin: لله الأمر من قبل ومن وبعد ويومئذ يفرح المؤمنون بنصرالله
Second photo:
Field
لله   Lillah
محمد Muhammad
رسول الله Rasul Allah
يمين الدولة Yamin al-dawla
وأمين الملّه wa Amin al-Milla
ابو القاسم  Abu al-Qasim
Margin: محمد رسول الله أرسله بالهدى ودين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون
Please note that I did not translate all the legend, the date is not visible.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Overlord

Thank you, Maythem for the splendid analysis and THCoins for the guidance. I suspect WoC is now the only online source that spells out the legend on one of these.

I am still a bit puzzled as to how the auctioneer and the person who attributed it at Zeno independently described it as AH418. By style? The only piece of information I could find that Album 1607 (pale gold) was stuck from AH389 to 421.

THCoins

I think both style and some guessing with what is there:
At the bottom you see سنة , in the year.
After that comes something that looks like "i o l" That could fit with the first characters of Arab "8", ثمانية. However, the characters after the initial part are so unclear that i did not want to make a guess.

aws22

Thank you Anthony, you are nearly there, it is " ثمانيه عشر واربعمائه thamaniya 'ashar wa 'arba'mia ", 418, the only missing word is " عشر 'ashar " which fits well in the small space available. Other choices are too long:
" وعشرين , وثلاثين , واربعين , وخمسين , و ستين , وسبعين , وثمانين , وتسعين ". In the space available, only "  عشر 'shar ", the three letter word fits.
Another reason for 418 is that the reign period for Sultan Mahmud ends 421 AH, he died April 30, 1030 AD (421 AH), which means that 418 is the only choice left.

Maythem

THCoins

Thanks Maythem ! I agree with your reasoning.

aws22