News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Kazakhstan, new series of circulating coins in 2019

Started by milkshakespeare, April 12, 2019, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkshakespeare

Kazakhstan is going to issue a new series of circulating coins in 2019. As far as I understand, the denominations of the new coins will be same as the current series since 1997-2004, ie. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 tenge. So far I have no precise information about the details of their designs or materials, but the change is most likely linked to the fact that Kazakhstan is sadly replacing the current Cyrillic ortography of the Kazakh language with a version of the Latin alphabet by 2025.

chrisild

Here you can compare the two series ...

(1) Current coins:
Currency of the Republic of Kazakhstan

(2) New set with Latin characters:
https://nationalbank.kz/cont/ПР_монеты%20рус.pdf

Kind of ironic that this media release (thanks, Taigawirbel from emuenzen.de) is only available in Cyrillic script languages at this stage. ;)

Christian

Pabitra

By when do you think the new series likely to be issued ?

100 Tenge ( bimetallic ) is generally not issued.

chrisild

No idea, sorry. Google Translate turns the beginning of the text into this:

PRESS RELEASE No12
On the issuance of circulating coins with a modified design of the sample in 2019
April 26, 2019 Almaty
The National Bank of the Republic of Kazakhstan "April 26, 2019" will issue circulation coins with a nominal value of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 tenge with a modified design sample 2019.

Now the first occurrence of "April 26" is the date of the press release (today) of course. But the second one (in inverted commas) could be the release date. Or maybe not. ;)

Christian

stef

milkshakespeare

One very interesting detail is that the press release says that the current technical characteristics of the coins will not change. The two tenge coin has not been minted for over a decade and all regularly produced denominations from one to twenty tenge were updated to brass or nickel plated steel in 2013. My expectation is that it will also be brass plated steel as the other yellow coins, but we'll see.

Here's a picture of the real coins, shamelessly stolen...I mean borrowed by me from ??????????? ????? ?????????? ????

Pabitra

Even 100 Tenge was last minted in 2007 in standard definitive design.

When was 2 Tenge last minted? 2005 in brass or 2013 in brass plated steel?

50 Tenge became magnetic from 2016 or is Nickel plated steel.

Should not the name of the country ( and this thread title ) be spelled with "Q" instead of "K"?

milkshakespeare

Quote from: Pabitra on April 27, 2019, 01:31:46 PM
Even 100 Tenge was last minted in 2007 in standard definitive design.

When was 2 Tenge last minted? 2005 in brass or 2013 in brass plated steel?

50 Tenge became magnetic from 2016 or is Nickel plated steel.

Should not the name of the country ( and this thread title ) be spelled with "Q" instead of "K"?

2 tenge has so far never been minted in brass plated steel, the last mintage back in 2006 was not magnetic. 50 and 100 tenge still have the original composition, they are not magnetic.

In English Kazakhstan is still Kazakhstan. It is the same old familiar Казахстан in Russian also. This reform is only for the ortography of the Kazakh language.

Pabitra

According to WMK, 5 Tenge reverted back to Nickel Brass in 2016, after having been minted with plated steel in 2013 & 14.
Also, as per 2018/19 edition, 50 Tenge has not been minted for some time but 2017 edition exists with different look and feel from Copper Nickel coins.

chrisild

Quote from: milkshakespeare on April 27, 2019, 01:46:13 PM
It is the same old familiar Казахстан in Russian also. This reform is only for the ortography of the Kazakh language.

Maybe, or maybe not. ;)  If you look at the central bank's website, you will see that both the Kazakh and the Russian version are spelled with a K or Қ. Just an observation, not that I am familiar with these languages ...

Christian

milkshakespeare

Quote from: Pabitra on April 28, 2019, 12:23:43 PM
According to WMK, 5 Tenge reverted back to Nickel Brass in 2016, after having been minted with plated steel in 2013 & 14.
Also, as per 2018/19 edition, 50 Tenge has not been minted for some time but 2017 edition exists with different look and feel from Copper Nickel coins.

There are two kinds of 5 tenge coins dated 2016, most of them are magnetic, some are not. I've got each and every circulating coin from Kazakhstan since 1993 and none of the 50 tenge coins are magnetic. 2018 is the latest date of the 50 tenge in my collection and it is not magnetic while 1, 5, 10 and 20 tenge of the same date are.

Quote from: chrisild on April 28, 2019, 02:02:36 PM
Maybe, or maybe not. ;)  If you look at the central bank's website, you will see that both the Kazakh and the Russian version are spelled with a K or Қ. Just an observation, not that I am familiar with these languages ...

Christian

In cyrillic Kazakh ortography K is transliterated as K and Қ indeed as Q. They are different letters and Қ doesn't exist in Russian at all. That should not change the English spelling, for example the neighboring Uzbekistan is still Uzbekistan in English, even if the latin Uzbek spelling is O'zbekiston.

Pabitra

All coins are out but it is a 6 coin set only
2 Tenge is not been issued