Author Topic: Zeno  (Read 896 times)

Offline gpimper

Zeno
« on: April 12, 2019, 03:47:21 AM »
I'm unfamiliar with Zeno.  I've seen it referenced several times by folks who I feel are very experienced.  Live and learn :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
Re: Zeno
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 06:03:40 AM »
zeno references refers to coins in the "Zeno.ru - Oriental Coins Database". It has more than 200.000 items. Also there are many great numismats hanging around there which makes it an amazing place. Unfortunately since about 2-3 years they don't accept new membership.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:32:03 AM »
Thank you.  That is what I'm looking for.  Any idea why they aren't taking new accounts?  I have a large mess of coins that I'm not sure what to do with (other than over clean and research).  Just looking for a direction.  Thank you!
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 05:33:17 AM »
Zeno is an online database with reasonably strict guidelines on images to mainitain consistency. It is not a discussion board like WoC. I believe they keep a cap on members to have an easier time maintaining these standards as well as keep a tab on the amount of data that is uploaded.

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »
Zeno is an online database with reasonably strict guidelines on images to mainitain consistency. It is not a discussion board like WoC. I believe they keep a cap on members to have an easier time maintaining these standards as well as keep a tab on the amount of data that is uploaded.

Yes it is.

That is what I'm looking for.  Any idea why they aren't taking new accounts?  I have a large mess of coins that I'm not sure what to do with (other than over clean and research).  Just looking for a direction. 

There are registered Zeno members on WoG.
Therefore, through them you can place your interesting coins on Zeno.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 02:59:22 AM »
Outstanding!  Thank you!
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »
Recently i had an unpleasant experience with Zeno. Yesterday i stumbled on my coin posted on Zeno by someone else:

Zeno - Oriental Coins Database - Anonymous AE manghir Edirne

Looks like "gencho kitov" posted it there with the related data of weight and size i posted here on WOC.

My label has been removed on the picture (overlapping traces on flan edges are still visible), no one asked me or informed me prior to that, no one cited the origin of the picture.
However WOC is cited by this link:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,44900.msg282266.html#msg282266

I would not deny a posting if im asked before and cited and if i would have a chance to post it by myself.
But Zeno is a closed society as they dont allow new registrations since a couple of years.

On the other hand they state on every single site:

"No part or portion of this page, text(s), image(s) or code(s) may be copied, reproduced, published or distributed by whatever way in any medium without the expressed written permission of the copyright holder, unless you are the owner of the uploaded image or you use the above mentioned matter for personal educational or scientific purposes with no intention of publishing it by whatever way under your or any other name."

Copyright only for their data but not for external data?
Other coin info may be pirated to be protected there?
The owner of the coin and data can even not comment / modify?

So Im not amused and hope this can be corrected.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:31:50 PM »
The admin (charms) e-mail ID is given on the home page. You could write to him.
I have personally made peace with the fact that anything I post on the Internet can (and, in many cases, will) be stolen. At Zeno, they at least include some links/credit. You should see Facebook...

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:32:44 PM »
It is not a problem of zeno but the user who uploaded it. Because users agree that they have the permission to upload it or they own the photo. You can contact zeno.ru to remove the coin, if it is an issue for you. But the user also gave the original link to the description.

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »
Yes, Kitov made a mistake. The reference to WoC does not give him the right to image this coin.
He created a problem, so he can close this problem himself.
He needs to ask permission to display this coin on Zeno.

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »
I had a connection with the Admin Zeno (charm).
Here is his answer (in original).

Можно написать следующее:
- на каждой странице Zeno вверху написано: "Any questions? -> charm@postman.ru";

- закрыта авторегистрация.
Но все, кто мне пишут на указанный выше адрес, получают регистрацию, если им это необходимо;

- у нас есть правило, что если кто-то постит не свою монету, то должен дать ссылку на источник изображения;
Если Kitov это нарушил и есть необходимость поправить, можно написать мне и будут внесены необходимые изменения;

- если кто-то считает, что этого недостаточно, то следует написать мне и мы каким-то образом решим вопрос.
Например, зарегистрируем владельца монеты на Зено и перепишем пост на него.

- администрация Зено открыта для диалога и для решения любых проблем.

С уважением, Владимир

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
That's too much of a challenge for me, so I used Google translate:

- auto registration is closed.
But all those who write to me at the above address receive registration if they need it;

- we have a rule that if someone does not post his own coin, he must give a link to the source of the image;
If Kitov has violated this and there is a need to correct, you can write to me and the necessary changes will be made;

- if someone thinks that this is not enough, then you should write to me and we will somehow resolve the issue.
For example, let's register the owner of the coin to Zeno and rewrite the post to him.

- The Zeno administration is open to dialogue and to solve any problems.

Sincerely, Vladimir
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 12:35:23 AM »
It's a bigger problem I suspect than one coin -
Here is one of mine - taken and posted without my knowledge.
Zeno - Oriental Coins Database - Langah (Lanjeh), AE Fulus, AH1259
The only objection I have to it's inclusion is the Zeno copyright notice that states the image cannot be reused!
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 07:18:44 AM »
I dont really see the "problem" here. Please read it carefully:
"No part or portion of this page, text(s), image(s) or code(s) may be copied, reproduced, published or distributed by whatever way in any medium without the expressed written permission of the copyright holder, unless you are the owner of the uploaded image or you use the above mentioned matter for personal educational or scientific purposes with no intention of publishing it by whatever way under your or any other name."

As the image referenced correctly, the copyright owner is you and cannot be used without your written permission. What is the matter then?

And the zeno is the most well-known website for oriental coins. There are many more sites that your images might be used. And you cannot notice it like you did in zeno for years. So my suggestion is if you want to completely secure your images, don't share it on the internet.

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »
I specify the translation
- we have a rule that if someone posts a coin not from his collection, he must give a link to the source of the image;

I sometimes post interesting coins on Zeno from this forum.
But I get permission from the owner and then give the appropriate link.
Here is an example.

Zeno - Oriental Coins Database - Tibet, 1 sho, KM Y#21b, BE 15-52 (1918)