Linked Events

• Annual Shukla Day - Mumbai: April 19, 2019 - April 21, 2019

Author Topic: Annual Shukla Day - Mumbai 19 - 20 & 21 April 2019  (Read 426 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Annual Shukla Day - Mumbai 19 - 20 & 21 April 2019
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:55:26 AM »
This years Annual Shukla Day fair is being held in Mumbai from 19th to 21st April at the usual spot - World Trade Center.

Any one attending?

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Annual Shukla Day - Mumbai 19 - 20 & 21 April 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 01:12:29 PM »
Surprising that there were no replies. I was there all 3 days as I had put up a small exhibit - The Post Mughal Coinage of Ahmedabad, a theme close to my heart.
I had a really exiting time as this gave me an opportunity to meet up with some real experts in the field, especially those on Maratha numismatics. I had put up 3 frames which had a total of 38 coins (about 20 different types). Besides this, I managed to pick up quite a few coins in this series - where I was missing certain dates.

The response was encouraging and the help and advice was stunning. In fact, I have had two more goals added - to make this complete. Two types that are not there in my collection. I was told of one specific date combination which exists but is not noted anywhere and this was by Mr Shailen Bhandare while another Maratha expert showed me an image of a coin from his collection which is not noted in any records.

The other exhibit themes were also excellent - Variations in the coinage of the Gangas; Currency notes of the Portuguese India), Complete collection of Notes of Nepal, fancy notes - like Hyper-inflation notes, uncut notes, odd notes etc. There was a collection of Akbar coppers and many more. I have a few pictures and will post them in a few days.

Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 01:28:10 PM »
Looking forward to the foto's, Amit. The power of networking is that knowledge generates more knowledge. Once you are accepted as a serious collector, people come to you with their tidbits, that you collect like coins to round out your knowledge and illuminate the hidden corners of your collecting area. The question becomes on how to pass on that advanced knowledge for the benefit of others. May we look forward to another book with your name on the cover some day?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »
Looking forward to the foto's, Amit. The power of networking is that knowledge generates more knowledge. Once you are accepted as a serious collector, people come to you with their tidbits, that you collect like coins to round out your knowledge and illuminate the hidden corners of your collecting area. The question becomes on how to pass on that advanced knowledge for the benefit of others
Peter, I have seen the power of knowledge sharing on WoC. I have benefited enormously from the knowledge sharing here and it has also taught me to share what I have gained. This is one such attempt.
Here are the pictures of the three frames that I put up there. Unfortunately, the pictures are a bit hazy. I will try to post the complete display here in a few days.

May we look forward to another book with your name on the cover some day?
Peter
i am working on a project on the coinage of the 4 states of Saurashtra - Navanagar, Junagadh, Porbandar & Bhaunagar and hope that some day (sooner than later, I will be able to fet something across to benefit the numismatic community. At the same time I am also actively working on a Project on the coinage of Baroda and Bharuch. Hopefully something will come out of all this.

Amit

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »
Your photos are a bit fuzzy. But even then one can see that this is a very nice and structured presentation. Congratulations !

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:25:15 AM »
Your photos are a bit fuzzy. But even then one can see that this is a very nice and structured presentation. Congratulations !
Thank you.
I have some pictures of the other exhibits too and will post them as soon as time permits.

Amit

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Annual Shukla Day - Mumbai 19 - 20 & 21 April 2019
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Very nice photos! :)

I decided to skip the event after not so good feedback from friends. I heard that many of the foreign coins which were on sale were forgeries... ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
The power of overlays! Well done, Amit! This is exactly the sort of stuff to urge people to go deeper, find out more and thereby see that there is more to collecting coins than shelling out money, "investment" and making marks in a catalogue. Congratulations, AMit.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.