Author Topic: Afsharids, Adil Shah (Ali), 1160 AH, AR abbasi (4 Shahi), Qazvin mint  (Read 99 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Afsharids, Adil Shah (Ali), 1160 AH, AR abbasi (4 Shahi), Qazvin mint (AH 1160-1161/1747-1748 AD)
Weight 4.58 gm
Diameter 21 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: يا علی بن موسی الرضا \ ضرب قزوين ۱۱۶۰ , " Ya Ali ibn-e Musa al-Reza , Zarb Qazvin 1160 ".
Reverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) “ لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله  ”, meaning, “no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, ‘Ali is the chosen one of God”,
In 1160, Nadir Shah was murdered. Afghanistan used his death to achieve independence under Ahmad Shah Durrani. In Iran, Shah Rukh Afshar and Karim Khan Zand struggled for control. This coin belongs to Ali (Adil Shah Afshar), a nephew of Nadir Shah.
Rare coin with evocation of "Ya Ali ibn-e Musa al-Reza".

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Another example of one man creating a vast empire and dying unexpectedly is a sure recipe for civil war. Adel lived in murderous times and was devoured by it. We are fortunate to see your coin, all the more because Adil's reign was so short. Congratulations, Maythem.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Peter, for Adil Shah coin with evocation of " يا علی ابن موسی الرضا  Ya Ali ibn-e Musa al-Reza " is rare.

Maythem

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Good coin Maythem ! however I am not able to see the date ?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Saro, Adil (Adel) Shah Afshar coins have only two date’s possibilities 1160 of 1161 AH. Looking at an Iranian reference in Farsi (Parscoin), there are three types of evocations for this ruler:
First: یا علی بن موسی الرضا, "Ya Ali ibn-e Musa al-Reza".
Second: گشت رایج به حکم لم یزلی \ سکه سلطنت به نام علی  , "Gast Rayej be-Hokm-e Lam-Yazli / Sekka-ye Sultanat be-Nam-e 'Ali". 
Third: ز بعد نادر دوران عدالت سکه بر زر شد \ به نام شاه دین سلطان علی عالم منور شد , "Az ba’d Nadir dawaran adalet Sekka ber zer shud/ beh Nam Shah din Sultan ‘Ali Alam Munawar shud".
My choice of the date 1160 was based on that the evocation "Ya Ali ibn-e Musa al-Reza" being used during Adil’s early reign period (date not visible on this coin).

Maythem