Author Topic: Akbar: Copper Dam (2), Si Wa Panj (Ilahi 35) & Si Wa Shast (Ilahi 36) type  (Read 307 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Mughal Empire, Akbar, Copper Dam (2), Delhi, Si Wa Panj (Ilahi 35) & Si Wa Shast (Ilahi 36) type, 20.56g; 20.21g

On these coins, the Ilahi year appears BOTH as numbers (at the top), and in legend (bottom), on the Obv, with the Rev reading 'Falus Delhi Zarb' (top to bottom).

Ilahi 35 appears on the coin as "Si Wa Panj" (Thirty and Five ie 35) while Ilahi 36 is inscribed as "Si Wa Shast" (Thirty and Six ie 36). Generally, legends are truncated with only portions visible on the flan.

This particular coin type appears as an innovation or a transition phase prior to introduction of coins with Ilahi months replacing the legends of the Ilahi year.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
You call it innovation, Mitresh. As any investor can tell you, innovation will be accepted only if it solves a problem. The only problem I can think of that this innovation solved is that digits take far less place than numbers written out. If that was the problem solved you would expect to see another standard text crop up or a larger letter size. Did that happen?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Hi,
Just wanted to share the small counterparts of the lovely dams shown above.
Akbar damri (1.8th dam) from Dehli.
1. Si wa Panj. 2.39g gm 11.84 mm.
2. Si Wa Shast. 2.53 gm 11.2 mm
Thanks,
Saikat

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I bet you are grinning as hard as Mitresh, Saikat :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Oh yes. I loved that one set.
Saikat

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Does anyone know about  'ilahi Si wa haft' or Ilahi 37 damri of Delhi similar to the ones posted here where date is expressed in words rather than numbers??
Dr.Abhishek