Author Topic: Australia: 100 Years of Repatriation $2 coin  (Read 199 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Australia: 100 Years of Repatriation $2 coin
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »
Australia will on Monday release a special $2 coin commemorating 100 years of repatriation. It will be released into general circulation and will also be available in several collectors editions. The design will then also be officially unveiled, although it can already be found below  ;) Australia Post will also release a special PNC with this coin in it. If anyone is interested in that feel free to send me a message and I will send you an image of it.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Australia: 100 Years of Repatriation $2 coin
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
Even though the poppy suggests a WW1 context: If anybody does not know about the historical background (I'm looking at a mirror here ;) ), this page for example provides some info.

Christian

Offline Mister T

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 04:20:54 AM »
I got mine from a coin swap.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »
Remembrance Day artificial poppy

The poppy soon became widely accepted throughout the allied nations as a symbol of remembrance which was to be worn on Armistice Day. Poppies were first sold in Australia in 1921 and continue to be sold by the RSL in the lead up to Remembrance Day every year to raise the much needed funds for the organisation's valuable welfare work.

RSL = Returned Soldiers League.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »
Major weird. There are plenty of real poppies, especially at this time of the year and there's plastic enough already.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »
Some sort of cloth rather than plastic. I think you'll find that real poppies can't be picked to stay fresh as they go limp with minutes.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »
Yep, poppies will grow on "disturbed" ground (hence the phenomenon that is described in the poem), but once plucked, they will very soon fade. Thus all those Remembrance Poppies are artificial. Even if you visit the In Flanders Fields museum in Ieper (Ypres, Ypern), Belgium, you get a "plastic" poppy as a visitor tag. Well, I assume they still do it that way. :)

Attached is an image of an exhibition poster in Essen. Note how some of the poppies - of course there are not real - look "fresh" while others do not. The phase in between is really short ...

Christian