Author Topic: What are best books on coins of the Mughal Empire?  (Read 176 times)

Offline SakaScythian

What are best books on coins of the Mughal Empire?
« on: April 04, 2019, 12:42:56 AM »
Guide/reference books

Offline jaspersaini

Re: What are best books on coins of the Mughal Empire?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 12:58:57 AM »
Well, there isn't any specific catalog, which can give you all the reference and information about the Mughal coins.
I learned via the tough route that Zeno.ru Zeno - Oriental Coins Database - Mughal Empire, and Liddle catalogs are useful in
getting the reference to start your collection, or to get your collection a label. Moreover, you need to catch up with the World of coins for the reference, and
there are many experts here to help you with your collection. Best of luck.

Offline altaycoins

• altaycoins.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »
Arthur is a co-author of this great book

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »
Like many people I use this

The standard guide to South Asian coins and paper money since 1556 A.D:

But Krause never reprinted it I think, and now went bust................hence the price

Rob T

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:30:25 PM »
If I am not mistaken, there was a newer edition few years back with collaboration of Marudhar Arts, Bangalore India.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 08:37:57 PM »
Like many people I use this

The standard guide to South Asian coins and paper money since 1556 A.D:

But Krause never reprinted it I think, and now went bust................hence the price

Rob T
The Indian edition of this book came out in 2013 and should still be easily available. I only recently got a copy of the original from an Oxfam shop, (EX York museum trust library) so can compare the two and see what differences there are in the Indian section. You would expect to see many more coins that have since come to light but it's mostly a cut & paste from the original.  Having said that, the SAC Indian edition has lots of photo's and is definitely better than nothing at all.
Vic

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »
Interesting - thanks

It troubles me how many institutions are just dumping their books though.   

Leeds public library had all 29 BM Greek vols and all 11 BM islamic vols – That's where I got my grounding back in the 1970’s – but now all sold off. 

I bought a copy of the  Danebury excavation write up recently – and found from the flyleaf- it is English Heritage Library’s own lending copy !!!

My fear is that the archaeologists seem to want to physically erase past studies – so they can “rediscover” the past, according to their own lights, (and career progression)

Orwellian?

Rob T

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 04:25:55 AM »
Regarding books by Arthur Needham, his co-author, Tariq is a member of this forum and I am aware that they are seriously working on rest of the seven planned volumes.

As far as Andrew Liddle books are concerned, he is still active and working on another book although age has slowed him down. He is doyen of the subject and is founder of Delhi Coin Society and is solely responsible for scores of young collectors getting interested in the subject of Mughal coins.

Regarding SAC edition - if Krause goes belly up then perhaps Marudhar gets to keep the copyright. I do not know if they plan to update that edition but they being primarily one of the most active auction houses, are in possession of latest images as well as the prices. Thus they are rightly placed to update this edition. Will check up with Rajendra Maru ( the owner) when I bump in to him in one of the auctions. He did organise National Numismatic Exhibition recently in Bangalore and all top experts on the subject were there with him. I am sure something is cooking.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:06:03 AM by Pabitra »

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 09:09:10 AM »
Below are the books for Mughal Coins:

1) Historical Studies in Mughal Numismatics, S.H. Hodivala

2) Historical Studies in Mughal Mint Towns and other Essays, S.H. Hodivala

3) Coins of Akbar, A.V. Liddle

4) Coins of Jahangir, A.V. Liddle

5) Coins of Shah Jahan, A.V. Liddle

6) Collectors Guide to Mughal Coins, Dilip Rajgor

7) Monetary History of Mughal India as Reflected in Silver Coin Hoards, Jaroslav Strnad

8 ) Catalogue of Coins in the Provincial Museum, Lucknow: Coins of the Mughal Emperors,  C. J. Brown

9) Historic Gold Coins of Mughals, Satya Pratap Singh

10) The Coins of India: Mughal Emperors - Shah Alam I, Arthur Needham & Tariq Ansari

11) The Coins of India: Mughal Emperors - Jahandar Shah, Arthur Needham & Tariq Ansari

12) Catalogue of Coins in the Panjab Museum, Lahore: Coins of the Mughal Emperors, R.B. Whitehead

13) Catalogue Of The Coins In The Indian Museum Calcutta - Mughal Emperors Of India, H. Nelson Wright

14) The Coins of the Mughal Emperors of Hindustan in the British Museum, Stanley Lane Poole

15) Couplets on Mughal Coins of India, Manik Jain

16) Coins of Jahangir, Ashok Singh Thakur

17) A Manual of Musalman Numismatics, O. Codrington

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 03:13:13 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »
There is highly recommended book on coins of Babur by Abdur Rehman, currently out of print.