Sri Lanka - Army 60th Anniversary

Started by Figleaf, October 15, 2009, 02:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK Decimal +

Thanks folks, I knew that we'd get there eventually.

Something else that Aidan may have led you astray on is:

Quote from: BC Numismatics on October 20, 2009, 03:55:10 AM
Amit,
I know the difference between a medal & a medal-coin.A medal-coin usually has a denomination,such as the Krugerrand.

Aidan.

Now, to me this clearly suggests that the Krugerrand has a denomination on it.   However, unless I am very much mistaken, the example below does not.   (Sorry for mentioning the Krugerrand in the Indian subcontinent section, but I wasn't the one who brought it here).

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

BC Numismatics

Bill,
  The Sri Lankan 1,000 Rupees cupro-nickel coin may be sold at face value,but it won't be a circulating coin.

Besides this,Sri Lanka already has a 1,000 Rupees banknote in circulation.

The Krugerrand is denominated,but it is totally a medal-coin denomination,just like the Sika is in Ghana,the Lowe & Nkwe was in Bophuthatswana,& the Luhlanga was in Swaziland.

Aidan.

andyg

Quote from: bilnic on October 20, 2009, 10:54:08 PM
Thanks folks, I knew that we'd get there eventually.

Something else that Aidan may have led you astray on is:

Now, to me this clearly suggests that the Krugerrand has a denomination on it.   However, unless I am very much mistaken, the example below does not.   (Sorry for mentioning the Krugerrand in the Indian subcontinent section, but I wasn't the one who brought it here).

Bill.

The Krugerrand does have a denomination, ie 'Krugerrand'
The British Sovereign does not however, despite it being primarily for circulation until the UK fell off the gold standard.

It is unlikely the Sri Lanka coin will circulate as their biggest coin at the moment is 10 Rupees.

asm

Quote from: chrisild on October 20, 2009, 07:11:11 PM
Hmm, I just had a look at that website and came across this:
http://www.cbsl.gov.lk/pics_n_docs/02_prs/_docs/notices/notice_public20091012e.pdf

Quote: "This issue is limited to 10,000 silver coins and 200,000 copper/nickel coins. A silver coin will be sold at a price of Rs 2,200 and a copper/ nickel coin will be issued at its face value of Rs 1000 (...)"

Call them whatever you like. ;)

Christian

If the coins are issued at face they would positively not be NCLT leave alone a medal. The silver issues may be presentation sets only and may be NCLT.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

BC Numismatics

Quote from: AJG on October 20, 2009, 11:47:59 PM
It is unlikely the Sri Lanka coin will circulate as their biggest coin at the moment is 10 Rupees.

Andy,
  There hasn't been a Sri Lankan 10 Rupees coin since the 1998 bimetallic one commemorating 50 Years of Independence,which is a circulating commemorative coin.

Sri Lanka still has a 10 Rupees note like in India & Pakistan,but both India & Pakistan have also put 10 Rupees coins into circulation as well as their 10 Rupees banknotes.

Aidan.

chrisild

Quote from: asm on October 21, 2009, 03:16:55 AM
If the coins are issued at face they would positively not be NCLT leave alone a medal.

Certainly not medals, agreed, and I do not use odd terms such as "medal-coin" myself. But the base metal variety of this issue shows very nicely how difficult it can be to draw a line between circulation pieces and NCLT: Coins that have the same specifications as regular circulation coins (face value, composition, diameter, etc.) will in general be used like those, and show up in circulation. Pieces that have to be picked at specific locations, and are quite different from our everyday coins, are likely to be NCLT even if they can be had at face ...

Christian