Author Topic: Kashmir Sultanate coin help with ID  (Read 179 times)

Offline Spaniard

Kashmir Sultanate coin help with ID
« on: April 01, 2019, 03:35:19 PM »
Wonder if someone could help with ID on these 3 coins please..
Also whats written on both sides or a link to help me learn how to read them please..
Thanks Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Kashmir Sultanate coin help with ID
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »
Hi Paul !
See you are moving on to the later Kashmir rulers.
Unfortunately the calligraphic style of these types is not very refined, and usually parts are off flan.
They do however have a general lay-out. I made small sketch in your picture, see below.
If you start with knowing where to find the names of the rulers that makes comparison far easier.

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 01:12:17 AM »
Thanks TH! Yes I'm looking to expand the set into the Islamic takeover...

Any ideas as to the script on the reverse?..I assume the date is at about 8 o'clock?...

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 06:20:44 PM »
The reverse generally names the mint "Zarb Kashmir" and the date written out in words in Arab.
This is not always easy to read because the calligraphy is crude and partly off flan. Luckily, there are many types where the date is fixed to te same number during the whole reign of a ruler.

I am going to move this thread to the "Indian Early Islamic Sultanates" board shortly. This because most previous posts on this subject have been gathered there. (according to their entry in the Goron & Goenka catalog. This is still a must have for the early Islamic sultanate issues but expensive and difficult to get) If you use the search function for "Kashmir Sultan" you will find quite a lot of different attributed specimen previously posted to compare.

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »
Here is how you read "Muhammad sah"
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »
My unsuccessful attempt to read or explain a Kaserah of Fath Shah:

Obv.: ... , Al-sultan al-a'zam / (line with diamond-shaped knot) / Fath Shah , in Persian. The ruler's name is below the "line with diamond-shaped knot" on the obverse (left depiction) green coulour.
Rev.: ... , Zarb Kashmir (Struck at Kashmir) / Fi Shahur sanh (In the months of the year) / tis'in / wa samanmayah (and eight hundred) , in Persian. Mint name (rev. field, first line) in Urdu: کشمیر, Kaśmīr. 'zarb Kashmir fi shuhur sanat ...' + fixed (also called frozen or pseudo-) AH-date crudely written in Arabic words.
Zeno 179754 ; Rajgor T2841 ; Goron and Goenka "The coins of the Indian Sultanates" K59 ; DR 2841 ; Fitzwilliam Museum Collections Explorer - Object CM.IN.3274-R (Id:92413) .

Maybe someone can rad more.

regards

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 11:46:08 PM »
Sorry for the late response, it's the Easter holidays here....!!
Thank you so much Arminius and Drnshreedhar, that has really helped and hopefully will get me started on reading these coins myself...

Kind regards Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:46:58 AM »
 :applause: :applause: for the overlays. It don't look like a failed attempt to me, Arminius. It looks more like the ultimate guide to this coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.