News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

BLAKE AND COMPANY California gold $20

Started by malj1, March 31, 2019, 11:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

BLAKE AND COMPANY $20.00 Gold Piece
This is an interesting replica of a coin struck about 1855. This is a replica of only two known specimens. The originals are so rare no value has been established.
Notice the very fine detail and work-manship. The press embossed on the coin is a good representation of what a coin press looked like in the 1800's. The milling around the edge of the coin was done to prevent shaving the coin—thereby decreasing its value. The original coins were .900 pure gold.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Quote from: malj1 on March 31, 2019, 11:12:00 AM
The press embossed on the coin is a good representation of what a coin press looked like in the 1800's.

Not so. Steam presses had come about in 1794. Even Uhlhorns were out of fashion in 1855. Most likely, at that time you would find Thonnelier presses (introduced 1833) in mints.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

OCR scan of the attached blurb! ...and not my own thoughts.  ;D
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

brandm24

Apparently, there's only a single genuine specimen of the Blake & Co. $20 gold coin known. It's housed in the Eli Lilly Collection at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. I searched high and low and couldn't even find a photograph of it.

Bruce
Always Faithful