Bridlington quay. G.W. Simpson. Grocer. 5 /.

Started by ZYV, March 30, 2019, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZYV

1.31 g, 26 mm.

About Bridlington quay:
GENUKI: BRIDLINGTON QUAY, Yorkshire (East Riding)

About the token I can't  find nothing.
Is this a Market tally
My publications on numismatics and history of Golden Horde  https://independent.academia.edu/ZayonchkovskyYuru

capnbirdseye

Could be a market tally for five shillings  i took my Grandkids to Bridlington last summer, it's nice traditional seaside place
Vic

Figleaf

Bridlington quay is not a street but the name of a small town outside Bridlington. Bridlington itself has a Saturday market, presumably for consumers, not wholesalers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

The token does mention Grocer so it would be a shop token of G W Simpson  probably of the middle years of the 20th century.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

EWC

Actually, today, Bridlington Quay is Bridlington.  Primarily a working class holiday resort.  The (medieval) Bridlington of old maps is now called Bridlington Old Town.  Its (now) a sort of suburb somewhat inland to the North.

I do not know when the names changed unfortunately, as that would be useful here.

Bridlington Quay grew up around the mouth of a sort of magic river - the Gypsy Race.  That has three large neolithic mounds along its course through the wolds, and the largest standing stone in England apparently marks where it does a bend, to head to the sea.

Rob T