Author Topic: A Spanish centén that will cost you dearly  (Read 2315 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
A Spanish centén that will cost you dearly
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
Next week, on 21-22 October, Aureo & Calicó will auction an impressive collection of Spanish gold coins in Barcelona. This is the third auction in their "Caballero de las Yndias" series. Among the most interesting (and expensive) pieces there is this centén, a 100 escudos piece minted in Segovia 400 years ago, during the reign of Philip III. The auction house expects between 2 and 3 million euro for this - apparently unique - piece alone.

(Image: FAZ - More info: http://www.aureo.com/yndias/index_en.html)

Among the other pieces to be auctioned, about 1000 this time, is another centén, minted in Segovia in 1633 (Philip IV). That one is expected to fetch about 1 million ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A Spanish centén that will cost you dearly
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
One look at this and the knowledge of what Spanish coins looked like in this period and you know its an expensive piece of jewelry, a diplomatic gift, a token of appreciation, anyway, not a coin. Spain certainly had the knowledge and equipment to make good coins, but it didn't have the time to make them.

Thanks for an interesting picture.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:55:33 AM »
Well well well. Seems that only one bidder was willing to pay the minimum price. Yesterday a businessman from Central Europe got the depicted centén ... and paid "only" €800,000. According to EFE (news agency), the man was quite surprised that nobody offered more. The other piece I mentioned (the 1633 centén) fetched €500,000. Two articles (Spanish) about the auction:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/epa/article/ALeqM5io74_0SsIKUsOLeQc09ZuDjLfS_w
(Note the headline - "1 million 200 thousand dollars" probably sounds better than €800,000 ;) )

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/cultura/moneda/rasco/millon/elpepucul/20091022elpepucul_1/Tes
(This article also comes with a nice photo which shows the size of the 1609 centén; hope I can get the link in here ...)

Christian
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:40:32 PM by Figleaf »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »
Let's see if this works ... aah, see above.
(Photo: G. Battista/El País)

Nah, not a piece you would buy a loaf of bread with. :)

Christian
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:57:54 PM by chrisild »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
Yes, I am famous for my outstanding ability to add "img" tags to posts. ;) Actually I somehow mixed the URLs for the smaller photo and the somewhat larger one up; that is why it did not work for me first. Looks better now ...

Christian

Offline lusomosa

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:18:40 PM »
Well, I think the gentelman from central Europe is thinking :
" If I was the only one to bid, Was it a good or a bad deal ?????"

I think that it is a bit over the top, It is a perfectly struck coin but I don't quite like it's style. I would surely not place one bid on top of the one of that gentelman. ;D

Lp