News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Olympic prize

Started by Figleaf, March 23, 2019, 01:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

This very nice medal turned up, somewhat mysteriously, in my mailbox.

It approaches the classical theme of a seated Zeus, holding Victory in his hand in an original way. Victory's see-through dress is creative, but it works. ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑ is of course the town where the games were held in antiquity. The other side shows a modern view of the Athenian Parthenon with the text ΔΙΕΘΝΕΙΣ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΙ ΑΓΩΝΕΣ (international Olympic games) and in the exergue ΕΝ ΑΘΗΝΑΙΣ (in Athens) 1896. To the right, above the exergue is a monogram that looks like GG, CG or GC.

The edge is smooth, weight is a hefty 51.2 grams and diameter 50.2 mm. Metal is non-magnetic, possibly brass.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Seems to be a modern (and slightly modernized) copy of the original 1896 winner's medal. See here:

1896 Olympic Games
Winner's Medal

And if there is a "G" in the artist's signature, the piece will probably not be from Greece. They would, again probably, use the Γ instead ...

Christian

Figleaf

Thank you, chrisild. That makes it even better!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

I think it is more likely that the G is a maker's mark or some sort of hallmark indicating it is possibly gold plated.

Figleaf

Nice thought, but no, I don't think so. For a hallmark, I would expect some number to indicate fineness. A brand or factory mark? Yes. Since it has turned out to be an imitation, the artist's initials is an unlikely solution.

Peter

Bimat

I can confirm that the medal (or rather its imitation) is made of brass.

I have a French €100 coin weighing 50 grams and I know how it feels like to hold that heavy thing! :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.