Author Topic: Seljugs of Rum, Qilij Arslan IV, AR Dirham. Konya mint?  (Read 256 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Seljugs of Rum, Qilij Arslan IV, AR Dirham. Konya mint?
« on: March 12, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
Seljugs of Rum, Qilij Arslan IV, 1257-1266 AD

AR Dirham. Konya mint?

2.46g,   23mm
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Seljugs of Rum, Qilij Arslan IV, AR Dirham. Konya mint?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 12:48:50 PM »
This one should make Manzikert's mouth water, being so nicely preserved as well as a consequence of the battle of Manzikert ;) Kilij Arslan IV may have had an auspicious name, he did not have an auspicious birth, nor a happy end.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:39:05 PM »
I don't think it is Konya (see my first example below 663 H, 2.90 gm, 22 mm). I think it may possibly be Siwas (see second coin, 664 H, 2.92 gm 22 mm), but I am having trouble reading the legend. Perhaps Maythem can make more out?

Sorry I can't be of more help :-[

Alan

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 03:53:39 AM »
Thank you Alan, first photo of your first coin reads: الملك لله , al-Mulk Li’llah, “Sovereignty belongs to God”, center field, with margin, " ضرب بقونيه سنه ثلث وستين وستمائه ", Zarb bi-Konya fi sana Thalath wa siteen wa sittmi’a, “struck in Konya in the year three and sixty and six hundred 663”.
Second photo of your first coin reads: السلطان الأعظم ركن الدنيا والدين قلج أرسلان بن كيخسرو  , al-Sultan al-Azam rukn al-Dunia wa al-din َQilij Arsalan bin Kaykhusraw.
Please note the date written like this: Thalath, (Diwani Abbreviation for decade sixty) wa sittmi’a (663 AH).
I hope that helps.

Maythem
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:29:51 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
The mint on these is across the top, here is a close up of mine if it helps
Vic

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »
Dear Maythem

Unfortunately I have to respectfully disagree: my first coin is definitely Konya, and the second definitely Siwas. As far as I know Ganja was never a mint for the Seljuks of Rum (though I could be wrong).

One of the things that gives me most problems reading are the Seljuk dates (there used to be a very good website that gave all the different dates and mints using cut-outs from images of actual coins, but it seems to have disappeared). Qilij Arslan IV's dates are 655-664, so the date of the coin cannot be 601. There is an almost identical piece to mine at Seljuqs of Rum, Qilich Arslan IV

Perhaps you can make something out from capn's larger image?

Alan

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 05:44:16 PM »
Thank you Alan, you are absolutely right as my intention was only to help reading the Arabic inscriptions and I was not expecting to get it 100% correct. The text I provided is just to help you or other members to identify those coins which I am not familiar with. The word at the bottom of the reverse of your first coin looked like " Ganja گنجه " to me, it was written like that on Persian coins, the actual word is " Kaykhusraw كيخسرو ".

Maythem

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:27:55 PM by aws22 »

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
Dear Vic, with regard to your coin, the first photo reads: الملك لله , al-Mulk Li’llah, “Sovereignty belongs to God”, in center field. Margin reads, " ضرب بسيواس سنه .... وستمائه ", Zarb bi-Siwas sana … wa sittmi’a, “struck in Siwas in the year ….. and six hundred”.
Second photo reads: السلطان الأعظم ركن الدنيا والدين قلج أرسلان بن كيخسرو  , al-Sultan al-Azam rukn al-Dunia wa al-din َQilij Arsalan bin Kaykhusraw.
It is very hard to read the mint but it looks like Siwas (Sivas) in Turkey. The date is partially visible.

Maythem

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »
thank you Maythem, I think the mint is more likely Siwas although it's hard to make it out but this is how it appears to look under a magnifying glass, some parts not clear to be sure
Vic

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:42:20 PM »
Thank you Vic, you are absolutely correct, great.

Maythem