Author Topic: F+W Media files for bankruptcy  (Read 714 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: F+W Media files for bankruptcy
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 02:42:07 PM »
As I commented elsewhere, Chapter 11 is not one paragraph, but roughly 75. ;) But apart from that, yes, this may be a chance of establishing catalog numbers that are not "publishing house specific". Sure, if people started focusing on Numista numbers, those would be equally proprietary - but I guess that what many collectors want is consistency. Whether you use KM, Schön or other numbers, you do not want them change (exaggerating a little) every few months ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
That is unusual in the sense that I would have expected them to file for Chapter 11 of the US bankruptcy code (suspension of payments - surséance van betaling) first.

- which is what happened. This is the earliest source I have seen; came across that from press articles published a little later ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
While, for people like me, the Schön catalog is a viable (and better in some regards) alternative, I understand that it is a No-No for people who do not understand German. The Schön catalog of world coins, by the way, includes the Krause numbers ...

However, I share the concerns regarding the future of the Schön catalog. The decision of the publishing house (Gietl-Battenberg) to split the 21st century off - which basically makes sense - and to assign the work on that volume to a relatively unexperienced editor - would have been better IMO to have both authors work on both the 20c and 21c volumes - has still not been "digested" yet. So do not start changing all your KM numbers to Schön numbers, hehe.

Also, while most news articles about the F+W bankruptcy case deal with the company as a whole, here is a blog story from a somewhat more numismatic point of view. I sure hope that the catalogs will not actually be affected by this; we will see. Also, I noticed that Amos Media (Coin World) does stamp catalogs. Maybe they could take ... ah well. ;)

Christian

Offline Big_M

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
I saw serious problems coming when they blocked access to the Numismaster database.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
Seems like it is closed for good.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 11:01:45 PM »
To my great surprise I this evening suddenly received an email of Tom Michael, who I hadn't spoken in 5 years, to discuss some changes for the upcomming 14th edition of the 2000-present catalog. It seems the catalog is still very much alive.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 11:55:10 PM »
Think `the times they are a changing´ since two decades and the Krause staff did not realize and react forward-looking enough.
A general change from paper based data to websites and web databases, complicated by new generations that are web orientated but don´t collect as their parents did.

The Krause approach to compile everything in one is also a hopeless case as the material is far too much and too complicated to be compiled on dead wood snippets.

The era after Krause will be a network of independent databases and websites, specialized on different focal points and (maybe/hopefully) working together - if we find enough idealists to coordinate on a sustainable basis.

:-\

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 07:52:43 PM »
Publisher Penguin Random House has bought the books division of F+W Media. Many books will continue to be published.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:06:10 PM by eurocoin »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »
Publisher Penguin Random House has bought the books division of F+W Media. Many books will continue to be published.

Good news, thanks. That suggests the Krause publications have a future after all. :)

Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2019, 12:35:00 PM »
Not necessarily. First, Random House may decide the coin catalogues are not profitable enough. Remember that Chester Krause started out with them, so he had a special attachment to them that Random House doesn't share. Second, Random House will go the same way as KP if they do not adapt to the internet fast enough.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2019, 12:54:00 PM »
I don't have much hope the printed catalogs will continue.
I do hope they at least attempt to keep an electronic version updated and corrected available.

Dale

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
The only really important thing is their data base and it's KM#.

Ole
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »
The only really important thing is their data base and it's KM#.

In that case, don't look at PRH. ;)  Gerhard Schön mentioned at emuenzen.de that the database for the catalogs and the magazines were acquired by Active Interest Media. They paid $350,000 at the auction ...

Christian