Author Topic: cyprus piastres 1/4 Queen victoria  (Read 153 times)

Offline Desibot

cyprus piastres 1/4 Queen victoria
« on: March 13, 2019, 12:13:59 PM »
Hi guys

I got this coin in a small lot

I tried find out how many of these where minted

I checked up on it and from what i found this date 1881
Is a proof ?

If any one knows more about it please do let me know

Thanks

Desibot

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: cyprus piastres 1/4 Queen victoria
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:23:28 AM »
This is certainly not a proof. The eyebrow is gone, there is wear on the cheek and the hair. I would give it VF. The mintage is 72 000. A further 108 000 were struck at the Birmingham mint, mintmarked H. In spite of the low mintage, this coin is common, as demand is low.

It is quite an interesting coin, though. At the time, the traditional currency of the island was the Ottoman piastre. The British tried, with leaps and bounds, to introduce British currency, to the delight of local merchants, who shortchanged the British as badly as possible and whenever they could with always worse Turkish coins. In the end, bayonets won, though and the piastre was fixed at 9 to the shilling. This means that a threepence was 2 piastre, so the quarter piastre was needed to allow the Brits to demand exact change for silver coins.

Note that Cypriots could and did claim that their monetar history was longer than British monetary history, since Cyprus already struck money in ancient Greek times.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Desibot

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
Thankyou figleaf for the info and the insight  on this  :)

Offline gpimper

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 01:57:31 AM »
That is a neat coin.  And Fig is amazing.
The Chief...aka Greg