Author Topic: Kashmir stater identification  (Read 115 times)

Offline Spaniard

Kashmir stater identification
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »
Hi guys..
I'm a collector of this series and wonder if you could take a look at this coin please..
Its confusing the heck out of me...
I'm reading Avanti Deva but as you know the style seems to be much later..
Seller has it dated as 1165-1172 which would be the ruler Varttideva?
Any ideas? Thanks Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Kashmir stater identification
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Hi Spaniard, Bienvenido a World of Coins !
Nice scarcer specimen you are showing here.
I think you might have a mixup of Avanti Varman and Avanti Deva ?
Avanti Varman is one of the very early Kashmir rulers of the Duptala dynasty.
Avanti Deva is the son of Paramanuka of the second Lohara dynasty. So i think the seller is correct
To make it a bit more complex some names are written in multiple ways. Avanti Deva is the same as Vanti Deva. I am not familiar with the spelling Varrti.

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:29:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcome TH!...Thats great and has stopped my head hurting thank you...
The reason I was getting confused was that the below link has Paramanuka's son spelled Varttideva.....?? Any ideas why?
At the moment I only have 20 different rulers in this series with a few legend variants so this one will make a great addition.
Just one more question ..Do you know anything about the history of Avanti Deva or a link where I can find out a bit about him?
Complete Chronology of All Kings of Kashmir |Search Kashmir

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:30:39 AM »
I would not worry about the different spellings. the "rtti" syllable often changes into "rti" in later words and names. "Varti" and "Vanti"are likewise just variations in spelling. If a Sanskrit word starts with "A" where the "A" has no emphasis, it often is discarded. If the "A" is the initial syllable with emphasis then it indicates a negation of the part of the word after this so "non-xxx". Then one can offcourse not discard this initial vowel.

Not very much is known about the later Hindu Kashmir rulers. That has a clear reason. The primary contemporary literary source of this era is the "Rajataranghini" written by the historic writer Kalhana. However, this work was closed around 1150AD.
The later part of Kashmir history is mostly based on the "Dvitīyā Rajataranghini", by Ronaraja. But this was written in the 15th century. So far later, and has much less precise and detailed information.

If there are (Kashmiri ?) members who have more historic background knowledge than i do, i hope they will chime in here..

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 08:21:12 AM »
Thanks again TH...
Heres a link that you've probably read but others might find useful...And as you said also frustratingly stops short of the later rulers.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/427206...tab_contents

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »
I think your link is truncated somehow, for it now just gives an error message ?

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
Sorry does it work know?

Link to JStor
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:04:13 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 12:07:00 PM »
Yes the other link works. I edited your post so people see just a short text instead of the full link. If you click "modify" with your post you can see how this is done.

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »
Thanks TH :like: