Author Topic: Die Variety: Rs 1 Distinguishing between Type C and D 2 Rupee coins  (Read 5875 times)

Offline MS

According to Krause

Type C
Ashoka column 13mm tall, 4 fur rows on right lion.

Type D
Ashoka column 13mm tall, 4 fur rows. Recut chest on central lion.

Does anyone have pictures showing the difference between the two types or any tips in differentiating between the two? It gets harder especially when the coin is from circulation and I am not able to tell the difference with any degree of certainty.

Thanks
MS

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Distinguishing between Type C and D 2 Rupee coins
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:47:31 PM »
I hardly care about these types and don't even check every coin that I get.I have never met/seen any collector who collects these 2 Rupees coins by types,in-fact many of them don't even know that these types actually exist.

can someone  show me all the varieties of KM# 129.X? ;D Or,do these varieties really exist?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline MS

Re: Distinguishing between Type C and D 2 Rupee coins
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:58:33 PM »
IMHO To collect in a certain way because everyone else does so (or in this case, does not) is not the way to collect :) It wouldn't be in a catalog if it wasn't worthy of a collector's attention. 

That aside, my question is also of academic interest to me.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:36:52 PM »
I would aso be interested in seeing a close-up of the two varieties. KM's description isn't very clear and if the variety doesn't exist, or is very minor KM should be amended.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
This is obverses C and D on KM-129.x coins.

This is also the difference between 2 Rupees KM-121.5 and 2 Rupees KM-121.6. If it helps I could do an image for those too. It is a distinct difference even if slight. OBV C is shows central die wear and this is corrected for on OBV D.

There was something similar in the 1970s with what are now KM-49.x sub-types. I have some of those too.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
Thanks Paul. That's really helpful. For one thing, I have just decided not to care about the distinction between C and D. If it's just a question of re-engraving worn dies, I can't be bothered. For another, I'll contact KM with this info. I am pretty sure they sail by whatever their contributors tell them plus whatever they published last year. They just don't have the capacity and the knowledge to check stuff like this. Even so, I'd welcome more pictures.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Distinguishing between Type C and D 2 Rupee coins
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 07:37:59 AM »
Thanks for posting those neat scans,Paul.The difference in both the varieties is quite small,but I'll check my pieces to see if I have any of these varieties.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline MS

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »
Many thanks Paul, those are lovely scans.

I am being a bit slow today morning so please bear with me. I am assuming that the left scan is Type C and the right scan is Type D. A difference I have not picked up before is also that the Type D central lion has more visible hind legs, the forelegs seem to be leaner? I wonder if I could use it as a benchmark.

In the majority of the cases, circulated coins will be difficult to classify on a minor difference such as this. However, if I do get any coins in AU/UNC condition, I want to classify the difference in my catalog.

I have a similar request for understanding another variety. If you have scans for them, it would be brilliant. KM# 49.4 and KM# 49.1. These are for the 25 Paise coin varieties.

Thanks,
MS

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
So here are KM-49.1 and KM-49.4 - see files names for a few more details.

Everything but the side lions' chest fur and heads has been "re-engraved"... even around the horse, wheel and bull.

Also notice, on the particular piece shown, there is a sign of a clashed die above from the horse's head. The reverse of this piece also has signs of a clashed die.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline MS

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »
Paul,

I cant thank you enough. I have struggled to determine both varieties ever since I started collecting a few months ago. To get such excellent blowups of both varieties is icing on the cake.

Cheers
MS

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »
Dear Mr Paul,
The excellent scans easily explain what I was trying to understand for quite some time. Thanks a ton.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline sekharkausik

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 03:31:57 AM »
Thank you Mr. Paul for your excellent pictures.   "Reingraved dies".   I had discarded so many coins thinking they were due to defacement due to circulation. Have to have a second look at my surplus hoard of coins.

Sekhar Kausik

Offline yougotmi

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 07:00:57 PM »
Are these scans or pictures?  How did you achieve this result Mr Baker.  Kindly throw some light.

Thanks

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
I did these images nearly 5 years ago - but I found the original image files. This confirmed that the images were done with a Canon EOS1000D digital SLR camera. It would have been with the camera on a copy stand, using the standard zoom lens set at 55mm, with very likely a "+2" close-up lens and a small ring flash (an old one - as once used with an old SLR camera). The other thing is that I had the settings so that the image was a bit dark - nowhere is too bright. The background is a piece of blue card. The coins would have been a bit small compared to the overall image size - I cropped a lot from each of the images.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline yougotmi

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
Wow, that explains everything.  Simply amazing results.

Regards.