Author Topic: Jahangir (AH1014-1037/1605-1628AD), AR Rupee, Ahmadabad mint, AH1029, RY14  (Read 182 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Mughal Empire: Jahangir (AH1014-1037/1605-1628AD), AR Rupee, Ahmadabad mint, AH1029, RY14 (KM149.4) (11.34 g, 22.78 mm)

On Jahangir Rupees of this type, the obverse and the reverse form a distich or poetic couplet. The Ahmadabad Rupee shown here has an inayat (meaning blessing/kindness/grace) couplet.

Shah Noor-al deen Jahangir, bin Akbar Badshah,
Sikka Zad Dar Ahmadabad, Az Inayate Allah

Obverse: Shah Noor-al deen Jahangir, bin Akbar Badshah (King Noor al-deen Jahangir, son of Emperor Akbar), Sanah 14 (Year 14)
Reverse: Sikka Zad Dar Ahmadabad Az Inayate Allah (Stuck money at Ahmadabad, by the blessing of God), AH 1029

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
An excellent specimen. So much of the border is visible that I am tempted to ask if it's a broad flan rupee. asm will be delighted to see it. ;) The separators come at well with the shadows, giving the picture awesome depth.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
An excellent specimen. So much of the border is visible that I am tempted to ask if it's a broad flan rupee.
The understatement of the year. Amit's photography skills make the coin come alive.

.... asm will be delighted to see it. ;)
I sure am delighted to see this one and wish I could lay my hands on such a coin..........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
The understatement of the year. Amit's photography skills make the coin come alive.
I sure am delighted to see this one and wish I could lay my hands on such a coin..........

Amit
Just to clarify: this paricular photograph was taken by the last owner/seller. I donít make fresh photos where the auction/seller photos are good enough (and likely shot using equipment much better than mine).