Author Topic: Ukraine, 2 Hryvni, 1997, Yuri Kondratyuk, error  (Read 200 times)

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
Ukraine, 2 Hryvni, 1997, Yuri Kondratyuk, error
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »
The coin was minted in honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of the Ukrainian / Soviet engineer Yuri Kondratyuk.

Yuri Vasilievich Kondratyuk (real name Oleksandr Ignatyevich Shargei, (21 June 1897 February 1942) was a Ukrainian Soviet engineer and mathematician. He was a pioneer of astronautics and spaceflight, a theoretician and a visionary who, in the early 20th century, developed the first known lunar orbit rendezvous (LOR, there is command module and lunar module), a key concept for landing and return spaceflight from Earth to the Moon. The LOR was later used for the plotting of the first actual human spaceflight to the Moon. Many other aspects of spaceflight and space exploration are covered in his works.

The obverse of the coin shows a diagram of the flight and landing on the moon, which was calculated by Kondratyuk and used by NASA in the Apollo program.
One of the leaders of the Apollo program, John Hubolt, in an interview with Life Magazine (March 14, 1969), said that the Americans used the designs of the Ukrainian / Soviet engineer Yuri Kondratyuk. Although the initial version was considered direct ascent (the spacecraft would be launched as a unit and travel directly to the lunar surface, without first going into lunar orbit).
The coin shows the wrong pattern of flight and landing on the moon.
The artist made two significant mistakes on Kondratyuk's scheme (see photo). These errors were found after the receipt of coins on sale. The price of this copper-nickel coin immediately jumped sharply and today the coin is sold at auctions of 70-100 dollars.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Ukraine, 2 Hryvni, 1997, Yuri Kondratyuk, error
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
Thanks! Why Kondratyuk did not use his real name?

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »
ello Gusev
If i kave good understanding is not minted 2 coins one coin with error and one coin without error . Is just minted one coin with error on landing program .
Is for that ,that i have find on spacial wessel in my garden  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Best regards Gerard

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 02:53:24 PM »
Why Kondratyuk did not use his real name?

It was a common story after the end of the Russian empire and the beginning of the rule of the Bolsheviks.
As a former officer of the Tsarist army, he was at high risk of arrest by Bolshevik authorities as an enemy of the people.
His friends obtained forged identification papers for him, with the name of Yuri Vasilievich Kondratyuk, born in Lutsk in 1900 (who in reality had died of tuberculosis in 1921). With this new identity, Kondratyuk lived in and around Kuban and the Northern Caucasus, working as a mechanic and railroad worker. He settled in Novosibirsk in Siberia in 1927.

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
Thank you Gusev, you are a well of science

Gerard

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »
If i kave good understanding is not minted 2 coins one coin with error and one coin without error . Is just minted one coin with error on landing program .

The coin was minted in Slovakia and therefore (for economic reasons) it was decided not to correct the error.
But the coin has two variants of the image of the star above (with rays and without rays).
Option "star without rays" is a bit more expensive.

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
you are a well of science

I graduated from aerospace university.
But I work, unfortunately, in aviation.

Offline Gusev

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 05:41:00 PM »
Is for that ,that i have find on spacial wessel in my garden  ;D ;D ;D ;D

".... special vessel ....."  :)  :like: