Author Topic: Hong Kong coin my Mom got  (Read 274 times)

Offline Cpimper

Hong Kong coin my Mom got
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:44:54 PM »
My mom was in the Navy for 20 years, and she was a Chinese linguist, so she was deployed in China a lot. She brought back several coins from her trips, and I thought that this one was cool. It's a Hong Kong 50 cent piece. :)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Hong Kong coin my Mom got
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 04:21:52 AM »
Nice coin. Are their any differences in the “standard” queen’s portrait and that on the Hong Kong coins?

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 12:40:20 PM »
 I always thought this was the standard Arnold Machin portrait.

Offline Cpimper

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »
I have done some research and yes, there is a difference in the portraits between the "standard" and the Hong Kong. It's mostly the crown that is different. The hair has also changed.  :o I hadn't realized this before.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 10:27:54 PM »
The two portraits you show ar from different periods. The second was used first in two varieties: crowned and uncrowned. The first was its successor. AFAIK there was only one variety. More on the heads in this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Cpimper

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:50:47 AM »
Very interesting. That you for the helpful information! ;D

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
About the second effigy you show: the uncrowned version was designed by Mary Gillick and used on coins of Great-Britain. The crowned version was designed by Cecil Thomas and used on coins of countries overseas. The Cecil Thomas version is known as the 'colonial effigy'.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
During the reigns of Edward VII and George V, only the UK was allowed to use an uncrowned portrait of the monarch. The Dominions and the colonies all had to use the crowned version. After the Dominions were given virtually full sovereignty within the Commonwealth, they considered themselves the UK's equal and wanted to use the uncrowned effigy. George V forbade this, however.

In 1936 Edward VIII decided to change that policy: see this post. No coins with his portrait were issued, however, though a few patterns and trials exist. But George VI knew that the Dominions wanted this new policy, so he implemented it for all coins during his reign.

When the Machin effigy of QEII was issued in 1964, the Queen insisted that everybody should be able to use it if they wanted to, so the old "crowned / uncrowned" portrait system was smashed! It took some years before the overseas territories (formerly colonies) availed themselves of this opportunity, however, and Belize even kept the crowned effigy well into the 21st century.

Offline Cpimper

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 06:34:47 AM »
very interesting. I did not know any of this before :o

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »
Great! Now your coin is more valuable to you. Keep them coming here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.