Other tokens and medals > Transportation tokens

SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE COUNCIL TOKENS

(1/3) > >>

Rodan61:
Hello guys :)
I recently added to my collection these tokens but I'm unable to find information about the city/cities in which they are used; from the Voice catalogue I know that they are part of a serie of 8 tokens, 4 of 20p and 4 of 50 p (various colors). The location of South Staffordshire Councile is Wolverhampton Road, Codsall, South Staffordshire, WV8 1PX and I presume that they could be used in Wolwerhampton but I dont no for sure.  Thanks for any informations. ;D
Antonio

andyg:
They were good for use in this area,
South Staffordshire District Council - MapIt
as long as you travelled within or from/to the area and qualified for a concessionary pass (elderly 60+ and disabled) - they could be used to pay taxi fares as well as bus travel.  The Voice catalogue I don't trust as it's full of errors  :-\ but there are probably more of this series out there.

South Staffordshire - World of Tokens

Rodan61:
 :thankyou:

FosseWay:
In the introduction to the UK section in the Smith bus/tram token catalogue, Smith notes something like "most people in the UK never use a transport token all their lives yet there are hundreds" (this is paraphrased as I don't have the book in front of me). This thread is a shining example of the correctness of that statement. I grew up in South Staffordshire (in Kinver, to be precise, at the very bottom of the blue area highlighted by andyg) and lived there for 18 years, 16 of which under the age of 18 and therefore qualifying for concessionary travel, and I never saw anything like this in use. I used the bus regularly and never paid for the fare using anything other than standard coin of the realm. The fare was 37p from Kinver to Stourbridge or vice versa and the drivers didn't give change, so there was a constant fight to get the right combinations of coins - buying tokens in advance, say 10 for 3.70, would have been an eminently sensible solution in the pre-electronic era, but it was AFAIK never or rarely implemented in the UK, unlike in the US or Sweden.

andyg:

--- Quote from: FosseWay on March 04, 2019, 08:00:28 AM ---.... lived there for 18 years, 16 of which under the age of 18 and therefore qualifying for concessionary travel.

--- End quote ---

These, and majority of the more recent (decimal) tokens were only issued to the elderly and/or disabled, young people did not and still do not qualify for the council tokens, instead usually receiving discounted commercial fares from the bus company directly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version