Author Topic: Jahangir. Half Rupee. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1024 / RY -  (Read 228 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Jahangir. Half Rupee. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1024 / RY -
« on: March 01, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
A 1/2 Rupee of Jahangir, minted at Ahmedabad.
The coins of Jahangir a fairly difficult to find but are really fantastic in design. The Half rupees are even scarcer to come across. I had this gem in my collection for years but had forgotten about it till I recently found it when looking for something else.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline jaspersaini

Re: Jahangir. Half Rupee. Mint: Ahmedabad. AH 1024 / RY -
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
Mughal half Rupees are hard to get.   RY 10

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:57:23 AM »
Mughal half Rupees are hard to get.   RY 10
Could be RY 9 or RY 10 but on this coin, the RY - which is at around 11 O Clock position on the left image is completely off the flan.

Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »
You must have a vast collection, if you can "forget" such a jewel from the Ahmedabad mint. I guess it would be difficult enough to assemble a time line of Ahmedabad coins with one each from each Mughal emperors, excluding pretenders, let alone digging down to fractions.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »
You must have a vast collection, if you can "forget" such a jewel from the Ahmedabad mint.
Peter
Yes, Peter, it is a fairly large collection covering a long period (from when I collected, whatever came my way). But forgetting such gems can be attributed more to unorganised than vast. I am now working on organsisng and listing the collection.

I guess it would be difficult enough to assemble a time line of Ahmedabad coins with one each from each Mughal emperors, excluding pretenders, let alone digging down to fractions.
Peter
That - assembling a time line of Ahmedabad coins of the Mughal rulers including pretenders who had coins issued at Ahmedabad (in fact all mints in Gujarat) - is one of my focus area now. Type wise, may be, I have most coins issued from Ahmedabad (in fact even all Gujarat Mints) during the Mughal Rule. I am now working by date combination. I have started from midway - Murad Baksh moving to the time the mint was closed. It is a huge task but I hope that some day I will surely complete it (if not fully, most known date combinations). The earlier rulers issued coins by year and month and that would make it a HUGE task. So, currently I am going by dates for whatever comes my way but I am not sure if I will ever attempt a date, RY & Month combination - though the number of mints in the earlier reigns was lower.
I am also piecing together a complete collection of all IPS in Gujarat and have a fairly large collection there too.
Unfortunately, I am very very disorganized and keep forgetting what I have - leading to a number of duplicates - even of scarce coins. Actually, I keep picking up so many coins that I loose track since I do not have the time to add them to the trays or the albums. Often I wonder if it would be better to stop buying for some time till I can organize what I have but then as soon as I make up my mind to do so, come a coin which I 'must' have.
Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 02:36:10 PM »
Unfortunately, I am very very disorganized and keep forgetting what I have - leading to a number of duplicates - even of scarce coins. Actually, I keep picking up so many coins that I loose track since I do not have the time to add them to the trays or the albums. Often I wonder if it would be better to stop buying for some time till I can organize what I have but then as soon as I make up my mind to do so, come a coin which I 'must' have.

I know that system and I found a solution. I made a list in Excel of what I would like to have in a complete collection. The more columns you make the more work it is to create the list, but the handier the list is. Excel is good at avoiding repetitive entries, though. One of the columns is status, 1 for I don't have it, 2 is under order or just bought, 3 I have a filler and 4 I have it. I keep that list on my phone. At coin events, I take a spare batterij and my phone. By using filters, I can make lists e.g. by denomination, by date range, commemoratives only, wanted coins, an inventory list or any combination. If I buy a coin at an event, I just need to change its status to 2 and save. When the coin is integrated in the collection, its status goes to 3 or 4. This means I can do the main work, checking id and details, later and still be up to date. I can send you my want/inventory list as an example if you wish.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 05:45:37 PM »
 Great coin.

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 05:51:31 PM »
I know that system and I found a solution. I made a list in Excel of what I would like to have in a complete collection. The more columns you make the more work it is to create the list, but the handier the list is. Excel is good at avoiding repetitive entries, though. One of the columns is status, 1 for I don't have it, 2 is under order or just bought, 3 I have a filler and 4 I have it. I keep that list on my phone. At coin events, I take a spare batterij and my phone. By using filters, I can make lists e.g. by denomination, by date range, commemoratives only, wanted coins, an inventory list or any combination. If I buy a coin at an event, I just need to change its status to 2 and save. When the coin is integrated in the collection, its status goes to 3 or 4. This means I can do the main work, checking id and details, later and still be up to date. I can send you my want/inventory list as an example if you wish.

Peter
I would like to describe my coin documentation technique here.
I keep the details of the coin and their pictures in a software called OpenNumismat that have almost all the columns I need. The data is stored in a sqldb database that gets backed up daily in a google drive (after a few hard disk crash). I also wrote a python script that dumps the content in a set of html files and images that can be stored in my phone. So, while my main coin database seats in my home PC, I am near to my collection where-ever I am. The software is free and opensource and maintained regularly.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:58:32 AM »
A 1/2 Rupee of Jahangir, minted at Ahmedabad.
The coins of Jahangir a fairly difficult to find but are really fantastic in design. The Half rupees are even scarcer to come across. I had this gem in my collection for years but had forgotten about it till I recently found it when looking for something else.

Amit

Fantastic coin congratulations for digging it out from your vast treasure.

Over a period of time it is happening with every collectors how to track and trace the coins from collection. More importantly updating of data base .
Like Peter has shared I love to work in excel and keep updated file in my phone as well so that while purchasing I shouldn't duplicate or avoid  chances of buying something not require.

Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/