Author Topic: Please help identify this counterstamp  (Read 510 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Please help identify this counterstamp
« on: February 24, 2019, 05:12:48 PM »
I'm not sure where this goes so am posting it here.I know this is a long shot, but would appreciate any ones thoughts in my effort to identify this counterstamp.

The coin is a Victoria Penny dated 1868 (?) The 186 is readable but the last digit is worn off. I've owned this piece for several years and have been trying to identify the portrait stamped over the Queen's. As you can see, the wear is extensive on both coin and stamp, which suggests the stamp was struck on the coin when it was new or near new.

I don't think it's an official countermark, but I may be wrong. The fact that it's applied over the Queen's portrait appears to be a deliberate defacement...a political statement of some sort? In any case, I'd appreciate your help or suggestions on this. Many thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Please help identify this counterstamp
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:34:04 PM »
Lots of silence, but the page got its 35th hit today. The silhouet reminded me immediately of Mr. Trump. :) More seriously, is there lettering on the counterstamp at 11 o'clock?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: Please help identify this counterstamp
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:14:44 PM »
There's something, or was something at 11 o'clock, but there's no detail left at all. Possibly lettering or it could have been a small defect in the die that left a bump or abrasion. It's really a shame that there isn't a little more detail on the piece. It likely has an interesting story to tell, Peter.

Bruce
Always Faithful