Author Topic: Julius Caesar, AR Denarius, African mint, 47-46 BC, Sear 1402, Crawford 458/1  (Read 145 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Julius Caesar, AR Denarius, African mint, 47-46 BC, Sear 1402, Crawford 458/1, RSC 12, CRI 55 (3.46 g, 17 mm)

Through this coin, Caesar emphasizes the divine ancestry of his family, the gens Iulia, which claimed descent from the goddess Venus and her son, the Trojan hero Aeneas, who saved his father from the fall of Troy and, as recounted in Virgil’s Aeneid, fled to Italy. The Romans traced their history back to him.

This coin was minted in the middle of the civil war between Julius Caesar and Pompey, albeit after the latter’s defeat and death. In 50 BC, the Senate commanded Caesar to return to Rome because his term as governor was over. Traditionally, Roman generals were required to disband their armies before entering Rome. In 49 BC, Caesar defied that tradition by crossing the Rubicon, a river so small its location is now lost. This act resulted in a civil war between Caesar and the optimates, who chose Pompey as their leader. Caesar finally defeated Pompey at Pharsalus, in Greece, and pursued him to Egypt, arriving soon after the murder of the general.

After the defeat of the King of Pontus, who had sided with Pompey, by 46 BC, Caesar advanced to Africa to deal with Cato, and others supporters of the optimates' rule. Possibly the coin was minted on the spot to pay the soldiers who fought on African soil.  (Adapted from the article by Samuele Rocca posted at Denarius depicting the head of Venus and Aeneas leaving Troy (47/46 BCE) |)

Obverse: Diademed head of Venus right
Reverse: Aeneas advancing left, carrying palladium from Troy in right hand and his father Anchises on left shoulder; CAESAR downwards to right.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Very strong symbolic reverse. I wonder whether the classic depiction of St Chrisopher may have partly been inspired by older examples like this.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I think you have a point, but the relation may be more indirect. The Christopher iconography is inspired by people earning (part of) their living by carrying travellers on their shoulders across a river. They would know where to cross and be strong and sure-footed. Perhaps more important, those not sure on their feet would run much less of a risk of tripping and drowning. It is quite possible that such people existed in Roman times also. The symbolism of the boat-less ferryman is help for the weak and infirm. That fits both Aeneas and Christopher.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

I've got one but didn't know what it was!  :o
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

Mine's not so nice, though.  And it's Bronze :-(
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Do post it, Greg. You never know what you'll discover.

If you want your daughter to know more about Caesar and his exploits, Conn Iggulden has written a series of books on the subject. The books are well written and researched, but they are absolutely not 100% historically correct.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Mine's not so nice, though.  And it's Bronze :-(
If it is the same type, it should be silver, unless it is a fourrée or has a brownish toning. Images would help.