Author Topic: Ghorids of Bamiyan: Jitals of Jalal-al-din Ali, 1206-15AD (and his dad)  (Read 202 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
I thought i'd throw in some scarcer jitals again. Looking at the index, a shortlived ruler that not has received any attiention yet is Jalal-alDin Ali, sultan of the Ghorids of Bamiyan.

Jalal-al-din Ali was the son of Baha-al-din Sam II. He was elected as Ghorid leader after the death of Mu’izz-ud-din Muhammad. He ruled from his capital Bamiyan while his brother Ala al-Din Muhammad became governor of Ghazna, soon conquered by Yildiz. The entry of Ala-ud-din Muhammad Khwarezmshah ended the Bamiyan Ghorid line.

The first coin is Tye#167, a horseman jital (AE 16 mm, 2.97 gr). Remarkable thing about the coinage of the Bamiyan Ghorids is that the designs are fairly often mirrored to the standard design. So here the horseman looks left instead of the common right.

The second coin is Tye#169, a silvery bull and horseman (BI (silvered ?) 16 mm, 3.28 gr). Clear distinguishing feature here is the "Jalal" on the rump of the horse.

The third is Tye#172. This is a plain text jital (AE 16 mm, 3.34 gr). It may seem a bit boring at first sight, but it is actually an interesting witness of the political evolution of the time. One side names Jalal-al-Din. The other names Ala-al-din. This coin was likely minted in the period when the power of the Ghorids was transferred to Ala-al-din Kwarezmshah. The text may be interpreted as Jalal-al-din Ali aknowledging the suzerainity of the Khwarezmshah.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:38:17 PM by THCoins »

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ghorids of Bamiyan: Jitals of Jalal-al-din Ali, 1206-15AD
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:27 PM »
Fascinating stuff Anthony, particularly the last one, I don't have examples to compare of any of those unfortunately
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
An important missing link between the Ghorids an the Khwarezmshahs also. Good fun.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 05:28:20 PM »
The Jital coinage of the Bamiyan Ghorids has left less available traces than the main line unfortunately. Luckily, once in a while, i encounter some, usually as misattributed specimen.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Ghorids of Bamiyan: Jitals of Jalal-al-din Ali, 1206-15AD (and his dad)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »
As a small addition, here a scarce specimen of a horseman jital issued by the father of Jalal-al-din, Baha-al-din Sam (II) bin Muhammad.

Baha-al-din, was Ghorid Sultan of Bamiyan (1992-1206AD). After the death of Mu’izz al-din Muhammad he was supported by the Iranian army faction to become the prime Ghorid ruler. However, Baha-ud-din died soon afterwards.

The coin below is Tye#160, a Horseman Jital attributed to Bamiyan mint. Remarkably, there do not seem to be similar horseman jitals issued by his son.

The text is incomplete but it may confidently be attributed to Baha-ud-din. One argument for this is that the horseman faces right. For most other rulers, for this category of jitals, this generally is left. The horse side fits with Tye#160.3.
In Tye´s Jitals only the text side for Tye#160.1 is shown. The text side here is different to the Tye plate specimen. The text resembles that of Tye#161, which is an elephant Jital.

Obv: Horseman with spear facing right. Three dots below horse.
Rev: “Al-Sultan al- / a’zam Baha /  al-duniya wa al-din / Sam {bin Muhammad}”.

(BI/AE 14 mm, 2.93 gr)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 06:30:16 AM »
The father-and-son story reminds me of Leopold I and Leopold II of Belgium. They disliked each other quite a lot. One of the son's efforts to distance himself from the father was to grow a long beard, while his father had maintained a naked chin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 08:20:22 AM »
There seems to have been rivalry between the two brothers of the main Ghorid Line, the elder Ghiyath, and the younger Mu’izz.

Bill Spengler held that Mu’izz conquored North India primarily as an extension of the competition between the two

Rob T

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:29:42 AM »
Getting a position for yourself from the shadow of your father or your older brother seems to have been an issue in more than one dynasty in history i believe. Family affairs and world history several times were closely linked. It is fascinating that we can see the witnesses of this in coinage still today !

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »
A fascinating coin and a bold statement facing the Horse the other way, this is another ruler of which I appear to have no examples unfortunately
Vic