Author Topic: Brazil 20 reis 1822R thin flan?  (Read 216 times)

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
Brazil 20 reis 1822R thin flan?
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:41:52 AM »
Hi all,

I have this 1822R 20 reis struck on a very thin flan. Numista gives the weight as 5.5g, so my first question is whether that is correct?

Mine weighs just 3.1g - it does have some obvious environmental damage but this does not account for the discrepancy.

Are these known to have differing thicknesses?

Any thoughts / comments appreciated.

Cheers,
MBE

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Brazil 20 reis 1822R thin flan?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »
This design comes in two sizes. The large size (1802-1816) is 30 mm and its official weight is 7.17 grams. The small size (1818) is 26 mm and its official weight is 3.58 grams. The svelte coins were struck in Rio, but meant for circulation in the Brazilian states of Goiás and Mato Grosso (map here). They are bordering on each other and both are constituent parts of the Central-West region. A quite underpopulated region. I haven't figured out why they would want or need lighter coins. Maybe they didn't, as it was a one year experiment.

There is an equivalent XL reis and LXXX reis

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
Thanks Peter. Mine's 28-29mm so oversize and underweight. I guess the corrosion could account for the weight loss. A really thin flan struck without a collar could give rise to the size difference, do you think?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
I would agree that the weight is about correct. It looks like the minters mounted the dies for the small size and the collar for the large size coin in the press. Note how the strike is somewhat ex-centric. This is likely to happen if the collar gives the flan some extra space. The ex-centricity should be in the same direction on both sides of the coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.