News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Germany: 2020 Collector Coins

Started by chrisild, January 29, 2019, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

In 2020 Germany plans to issue five silver €20 collector coins:

The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats (from the Grimm Fairy Tales series)
Ludwig van Beethoven (born 250 years ago)
Hieronymus Carl Friedrich Freiherr von Münchhausen (born 300 years ago)
UEFA Euro 2020 (Football Championship, 12 cities in 12 countries – canceled due to the Coronavirus pandemic)
Freiburg (founded 900 years ago)

These are silver (Ag 925) coins; the BU version will be issued at face while the proof version will be surcharged. Then there will be the "usual" theme series:

€5 Climate Zones (Cu-Ni - colored polymer ring): Subpolar Zone
€10 Air Moves (Cu-Ni - transparent polymer ring): On Shore
€20 Gold (Domestic Birds): White Stork
€50 Gold (Musical Instruments): Orchestra Horn (Crook)

The €5 and €10 coins can be had at face (the proof version is more expensive), the gold pieces are surcharged.

Christian

chrisild

Here we have the 2020 Grimm Fairy Tales coin. It was designed by Adelheid Fuss. Note that the text around the wolf-and-goats scene is in all caps; we do have an uppercase ß in German -> ẞ ... But in my opinion it just looks bad when that one, as the only character on this coin, "sticks out" like this. ::)

Christian

chrisild

Next in line is the €10 coin, from the "Air moves" series. Will probably be issued in March. Again you have a Cu-Ni center and a transparent polymer circle, but the ring will be "red bronze" this time.

The 2020 issue is about "Strandsegeln" - Land sailing, or sand yachting. The design of the image side, designed by Andre Witting, is kind of minimalistic: You see the vehicle (apparently those are called yachts too), the pilot is merely indicated by a helmet, and the only text is the six characters AN LAND - on (the) shore. (That, and the AW initials. :) )

This is the press release in German. A larger image of the design is here.

Christian

quaziright

Very excited for this coin indeed!

chrisild

They will use color again, sigh. This is the Münchhausen design, featuring the famous Cannonball Ride. The piece was designed by Frantisek Chochola. What I do not particularly like, apart from the blue and red spots ;) , is this mix of the historic and the fictional character. Ah well, maybe that is what Münchhausen's fame is about ...

Christian

quaziright

I think I might have missed it, but was there another 5/10/20€ with colour?

I'm assuming this one will be available at face value just like the rest too?

chrisild

Strictly speaking, there is no colored German coin around yet (apart from the colored polymer rings on the €5 pieces). Then again, the Weimar Constitution coin comes in August. :)  And yes, the unc version will as usual be available at face ...

Christian

quaziright

redlock

chrisild

Ah well, we tolerate dissenting opinions here. ;D  Still somewhat odd in my view that the German Münchhausen color thingie (which supposedly is about the historic baron) features that fictitious "ride". By the way, a few years ago Latvia issued a 1 lats (100 santimu) coin about the Münchhausen Museum. Could make a nice combo ...

Christian

redlock

Quote from: chrisild on June 14, 2019, 11:06:50 AM
Still somewhat odd in my view that the German Münchhausen color thingie (which supposedly is about the historic baron) features that fictitious "ride".

Well, as we all know, we live in a post-factual world now. Therefore, the design makes complete sense to me.  ;D  ;)

chrisild

Oh, and the Latvians already had a great idea regarding the possible date of issue. ;) From that museum website: "The opening ceremony of the new museum building took place on May 32, 2005. Thus, the museum celebrates its birthday every year on May 32 with a single candle and several cakes (as many cakes as the museum's age!)" We'll see when that German coin comes out, hehe.

Christian

Prosit

Another Munchausen, this time a New Year Token
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/wiki/File:1989_AMTReg1.jpg

Dale

Quote from: chrisild on June 13, 2019, 01:27:12 PM
They will use color again, sigh. This is the Münchhausen design, featuring the famous Cannonball Ride. The piece was designed by Frantisek Chochola. What I do not particularly like, apart from the blue and red spots ;) , is this mix of the historic and the fictional character. Ah well, maybe that is what Münchhausen's fame is about ...

Christian

chrisild

The federal government has now published the issue schedule for 2020. This is the original PDF file. Since I cannot attach it (too big), please find a "screenshot" of the schedule attached ...

Christian

chrisild

And here we have the design of the Beethoven coin. Now I do not understand anyway why such collector coins have the Stars of Europe when they are, contrary to circulation and commemorative coins, legal tender only in the issuing member state. But oh well, the government wants it that way ...

This coin however, designed by Hannes Dauer, will have 2 x 12 stars. ::) Apart from that I like the design. The head is characteristic, and his hand next to his ear can be interpreted in several ways. (Press release in German)

Christian