Author Topic: Varieties "duh" question  (Read 502 times)

Offline Manfred1

Varieties "duh" question
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
This may seem a "duh" question to some of you.

Any previous discussions as to when is a variety truly a variety? I have noticed that some collectors compare the same denomination coin of different years and then report a variety. When is a variety truly a variety?

Offline quaziright

Re: Varieties "duh" question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:57:39 PM »
It seems to me that the legend is finer on the left versus the right with the date on the right coin being smaller as well. If this were a Canadian coin, I’d consider it a variety. However, I’m not so concerned if it’s from another country, I’d be happy with either one as the difference is too minor for me to put in the resources to acquire both.

I think KM would list this as a variety, but I think it’s too minor to be bothered with. It’s very subjective

Offline quaziright

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:59:21 PM »
Also, the distance between the legends and the motif wings is less on the right

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
You'll get as many different answers as you ask different collectors...  ;D

In the example you showed, there is a clear difference in the font, especially in the date. The answer will then lie in how you collect. If you collect by date, the fact that some dates have one font and some another is probably irrelevant unless there is a date that has both. If you collect by type, and include subtypes where minor modifications are made to designs, then this will probably be relevant.

Either way, I don't think that the definition of whether or not a given difference constitutions an "approved" variant is affected by the date. The variants are either different enough to be worth recording or they're not, and that depends on your collecting priorities.

Offline Manfred1

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 03:18:23 PM »
Thank you everyone for your effort and answers ... much appreciated.

I feel like the queen ...

Oh boy!! Now i'm on thin ice with Peter ... he's going to correct me ... again  >:D

As example I wish to show the following two coins. Both are 2013 coins. Image “A” shows the normal circulation coin, and image “B” a coin, that was struck on the “Oom Paul” 1892 press machine. Coin “B” has a “Paul Press” mintmark.

Please disregard the fact that coin "A" is a proof coin.

Hern's Catalog number for coin "A" = Nj43 and for "B" Nj44 CW

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:55:18 PM »
What have I done now? :'( Hey, you collect what you want to collect. I just want to cut through commercial fluff so people know just what they collect.

I see some minor differences that together suggest different dies. The most obvious are the letters ALS below the ground. Less obvious until you have seen it is the distribution of the 5 between the ring and the pill. Other stuff me be just the light.

I would actually have expected to see different differences ;) The Oom Paul press is older technology. I would have thought that it would be better at striking slowly, but worse where it comes to setting an exact pressure, resulting in a milky field and a slightly less detailed or a slightly too sharply outlined higher part.

As for your previous question, I would define a variety as all differences that are neither errors nor significant enough to constitute a type. Here too, it depends on your taste what you want to collect. This is a fine example of my argument that "complete does not exist".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.