News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Dutch canteen and corporate restaurants tokens

Started by jezuss, January 16, 2019, 07:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

Merletcollege started as a dependency of Elzendaalcollege in the early seventies of the first millennium. It achieved independence by a merger with another local school and adopting the current name. It was originally on Grotestraat, with a dependency on Robijnstraat and in the nearby communities of Grave and Mill. The Cuijk school and its dependency moved to a new building on Katwijkseweg in 2017.

A nickel token, 11.5 gram, 31 mm, that could not be mistaken for an official coin due to its magnetism, weight and size. It looks like it was meant to stand in for a 2½ gulden piece, so it must have been used in the Grotestraat location. The monogram is an M and its reflection, fashioned out of two Cs. The bird on the other side is of course a merlet. The text GOED VOOR EEN CONSUMPTIE means good for a consumption.

Merlet is derived from the French merlette (little blackbird) without beak or legs. The handicapped bird should be used only by noble families that participated in a crusade. There are seven merlets in the arms of the lords of Cuijk. The modern municipality of Cuijk uses the same arms.

Peter

Arms picture source: svg by User:Arch - HRvA SVG is own work., Public domain, File:Coat of arms of Cuijk.svg - Wikimedia Commons
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

More on TCCEC here. The canteen tokens are harder to find than the coffee machine tokens. They look older also. I am showing the 10 cent (copper-nickel, 3.0 gram, 18mm). The 5 cent is the same size and shape, but bronze.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

To a considerable extent, it was Bismarck's fault. He disliked the opposition, because it opposed him. ;) The opposition being catholic and Bismarck being protestant, Bismarck supported the Kulturkampf, the culture war, where the opposition was considered as nasty, un-german and *gasp* catholic.

Only such great thinking can explain why the sisters of divine providence, whose dangerous vocation it was to build schools and hospitals and orphanages, thought that it was a good idea to re-settle just across the German-Dutch border. The sisters continued their construction hobby there, and so, with the help of French sisters, miffed by being turned out of French education, the construction of the hospital of divine providence was started in 1908. Building must have been even slower than it is today, because the first world war intervened and the hospital could be opened only in 1927. The hospital was a success, but the name wasn't, so it was changed to Maasland ziekenhuis, after the river Meuse, Maas in Dutch.

The next tribulation was secularisation and better health. After a series of mergers, the hospital is now part of a health organisation. The hospital moved from the original building on Walramstraat in Sittard to a new one on Van der Hoffplein, where it is known as Orbis Medical Centre. Technically, that's in Geleen, but Sittard and Geleen had meanwhile been merged to one municipality, ingeniously called Sittard-Geleen.

There are tokens for 25 (brass, 20 mm, 3.4 gram) and 100 (copper-nickel, 20 mm) cent.

Peter

Figleaf

Nijmegen got its university in 1655, only to see it close in 1679, after the city had been taken by the French. On re-opening, in 1923, Katholieke Universiteit Nijmegen (Catholic University of Nijmegen) was a typical product of segmentation. In 1943, the nazis closed the university, as professors and students refused to sign the mandatory declaration of loyalty to the nazi state. The university buildings suffered considerable damage during a massive bombardment of the city by the US air force on 22nd February 1944. The university re-opened once more in 1945. The faculty for mathematics and natural sciences (Wis- en Natuurkunde) was established in 1957. It was housed in a separate building, due to destruction in 1944.

Nijmegen's Mensa Academica (University table) was at first located in the Roland Society building, that also housed students on upper floors. In 1945, the Nijmegen Mensa was moved to a separate location on Oranjesingel. As the number of students grew quickly, Mensa moved back to its first location on Oranjesingel 42 in 1956 (photo: Google maps.) By that time, the Roland Society had moved out of the building. The Nijmegen tokens were probably used on this location. At last, in 1969, a new, dedicated building was opened in Galgenveld (gallows field).

The token (copper-nickel, 6.3 gram, 26 mm) looks like it served as a gulden. The logo is trompe l'oeil. No idea what the C and dot stand for.

In case you were wondering, the picture and table on this page still refer to the Nijmegen tokens, because I hope someone will start a WoT section on these tokens, so they can be copied over easily ;)

That's all I have folks (at least for the moment >:D )

Peter

Henk

I would like to add some information about the ASF/P tokens I found in the archive of the mint (Archief van 's Rijks Munt Utrecht). The tokens were ordered from the mint by "Albatros Superfosfaatfabrieken Pernis" on June 27, 1950. The order states that on one side these should be stamped with A.S.F. with P. below the S. 15000 pieces of Aluminium, the size of the zinc 5 cents coin (18 x 18 mm) and 15000 pieces in bronze the size of the zinc 25 cents coin (26 mm) were ordered. The intended use of the tokens is not mentioned. The price was  f 325 and f 465  respectively. The tokens were sent from the Mint on August 31, 1950. There may have been later deliveries of the same tokens but I have not checked this.

Obviously ASF/P is an abbreviation for Albatros Superfosfaatfabrieken Pernis.

The zinc 5 and 25 cents coins, together with the pre-war coins of this denomination, were taken out of circulation on 15 August 1950.

malj1

The Reply #19 is an interesting addition to the topic in Reply #6 above about the ASF/P tokens.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Indeed. Start date 1950 and a strong indication that the square token is indeed 5 cent. Early, for a token in this category.

Peter

Figleaf

Here is another denomination from the series discussed in reply #7. Two down, two to go :)

Peter

KB372.jpg

Figleaf

Another as yet incomplete series. The Dutch ministerie van oorlog (ministry of war) is now known as the ministry of defence, a ministry as old as the state.

The Dutch economy was devastated in the second world war. The currency was not convertible. The war ministry couldn't have the vast grounds it thought it needed for military exercises. These factors all came together to produce a series of tokens in the denominations of the current coins and banknotes. Soldiers could use them during exercises in foreign military camps in the early fifties. That may have been too early for the popular exercises in the French camp La Courtine (1959-1964), the place known for having more bars than inhabitants and for having uniformed prostitutes.

The plastic tokens were made in Hollandse Knopenfabriek in Spakenburg, a button factory, except for the 100 cent, delivered by Luxor Plastics in Amsterdam. The 100 (grey) and 500 (orange) cents were found to be too large and subject to breaking, so they were soon replaced by paper notes. They are missing in my set.

Peter

Min oorlog 1.jpeg
Min oorlog 5.jpg
Min oorlog 10.jpg
Min oorlog 25.jpg   

Figleaf

Bieslandhof is a massive old people's home at Beukenlaan in Delft. It has a buffet restaurant. The use of the token remains unclear. The shape on the token is that of a decoration on the grounds.

Peter

KB48A1.jpg
entry BLH.jpg 

Figleaf

Edit: this is now classified as a coffee token and described in WoC

The main entrance of the building on Graaf Florisweg 64 in Gouda is still adorned with the name of its first occupier: Ambachtsschool. It offered the lowest level of technical education, throughout its life, turning into Technical school for Gouda and environs, a Lower Technical School (LTS) after a reform in the educational system and Delta College after a subsequent reform, aimed at dealing with the end of segmentation. Delta College was too small to survive, as its objective was intensified educational support by smaller school classes and practical training on the ground, known as IBO (individual professional eduction).

Two attempts to drown Delta College in a larger unit foundered, presumably because its low status and because its pupils were considered difficult, but also because its teachers were older and better protected against lay-offs. Meanwhile the building on Graaf Florisweg was reconstructed into apartments.

The token uses the caduceus mint mark of the Utrecht mint and the bow and arrow sign of mint master Van Draanen (1988-1999).

Peter

KB106A.jpg

Figleaf

Quote from: Figleaf on June 08, 2022, 07:51:32 AMHere is another denomination from the series discussed in reply #7. Two down, two to go.

Update: zero to go. ;D

Peter

KB373.jpg
KB374.jpg 

THCoins

Nice to see this thread steadily growing to compltion over time !
Shows the stamina and patience of the collector !

Figleaf

Thank you, TH. Glad you appreciate the series. I consider them (together with the coffee tokens) a frontier of numismatics, with important differences with other frontiers: few people do any work in this area, no academic is interested in them and, though many of them are hard to very hard to find, I can still buy them for under €3.25 on average.

Together, these tokens are a framework for the economic and social history of the Netherlands. It is surprising how much work goes into unearthing the history of some of the issuers. Some have already disappeared completely. Major parts of recent history are slowly disappearing, such as segmentation (verzuiling). How many people still know which political party was connected with broadcaster KRO (answer: KVP) or which segment of the population was served by De Gruyter supermarkets (answer: Catholics)? How many people know which aircraft builder was the largest in the world until the Great Recession (answer: Fokker)? Do coin collectors understand why Ballast Nedam issued tokens for workers in Saudi Arabia (answer: the circulating coins were unfit for vending machines; think of the consequences of the answer e.g. for the sales of preservatives or for parking in the city).

It doesn't stop with big things. A recent search for Delta college led me to verdicts of administrative councils on quarrels between schools, bureaucrats and trade unions that revealed the pettiness of mind of these parties, in particular their prejudices against inclusion of the poor, manual labour and Moroccan immigrants. Should that be forgotten as if it never happened? Or how about an army, preparing for a big plains tank war in a country that has no big plains, but it has a plethora of ditches that will stop any tank, so the army decides to practice the impossible war scenario in another country? I could go on for hours. Boring.

Peter

THCoins

I very much agree with you on the importance of studying living history ! On thing i do disagree with you though, and that's on the difference with other frontier areas in numismatics. On the contrary, i think that what you wrote on public and academic involvement, rare types going cheap because there is no buyer demand, goes for many numismatic marginal zones.
Just underscores the importance of a forum like this to facilitate communication !

Anthony