Author Topic: Themes for India Commemorative Coins in 2019-20 - Any Guesses?  (Read 733 times)

Offline betterphilately.com

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
Themes for India Commemorative Coins in 2019-20 - Any Guesses?
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
It's that time of the year where a list of possible new commemorative coins is put together on the India Post-1947 forum. Many collectors predicted coin subjects accurately and there were some surprises as well. Among the subjects from last year, gazette notification for Dr. M. G. R. was issued, and that's the only coin remaining to be dedicated. Given this is an election year, there could be some delays in figuring out all coin subjects. If the current dispensation is re-elected, coins on Vijaya Raje Scindia will likely be issued. Given bipartisan support, coins on Mahatma Gandhi, Jallianwala Bagh incident and Guru Nanak Dev Ji are almost certain to be released. Let me know if this post needs editing. Could you also post your guesses or information for 2019-20 coin subjects as replies to this post? Thanks and Happy New Year.

The following should be subjects for coin releases in 2019-20:

350th Birth Anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh 1666-2016 (released on 13 Jan 2019)
Birth Centenary of Dr. M. G. Ramachandran (released on 17 Jan 2019)
Birth Centenary of Vikram Sarabhai (released on 12 Aug 2019)
Centenary of Jallianwala Bagh Massacare (released on 13 Apr 2019)

125th Birth Anniversary of Paramhansa Yogananda (confirmed)
200th Birth Anniversary of Sri Satguru Ram Singh Ji (confirmed)
550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev (confirmed, possibly in November 2019)
Birth Centenary of Vijaya Raje Scindia (confirmed, likely in October 2019)

150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi (Likely in October 2019)
1000th Birth Anniversary of Sri Ramanujacharya 1017-2017
600th Birth Anniversary of Rana Kumbha
Sant Kabir Das

Link to such lists from previous years:
2015: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,31719.0.html
2016: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,33950.0.html
2017: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,37628.0.html
2018: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,41257.0.html
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:33:39 PM by betterphilately.com »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Themes for India Commemorative Coins in 2019-20 - Any Guesses?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »
I would like it if the subject of the possible Jallianwala Bagh Massacare coin were to be re-defined as a coin on Indian resistance against the Rowlatt Act. Whereas Jallianwala Bagh was a tragic and bloody accident of human importance, the Rowlatt Act was a wilful and considered political move against human rights, instigated by a judge (!), resisted by the Indian population as well as Gandhi and withdrawn. Defeating the Rowlatt Act is not just an important period for India's route to independence, it is a lesson for today's politicians.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
BTW, if you are at least as interested in this period as I am, I can recommend A rising man, by Abir Mukherjee. Set in Calcutta in April 1919, it is a well constructed whodunit enveloping a perfectly good history lesson. No evil guys, no heroes, just imperfect, complicated humans, trying to do what seems right to them or what seems to be their right to do, wreaking havoc on each other nevertheless.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 09:50:13 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:48:04 PM »
Peter,
That book is a crime thriller fiction, winner of the Harvill Secker/Daily Telegraph crime writing competition, so may not be very realistic.
The author seems to have found his niche & has followed this first book by two more books on Sam Wyndham ( the detective).

In actual history, the political climate in Punjab ( where Jallianwala Bagh incident took place) was quite different from Bengal (where the above story is kept).

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
Added a potential subject to the list: Vikram Sarabhai's birth centenary. Let's see if the federal government can get this done with some element of space theme included. If this happens, it would be best done in August when ISRO starts other celebration events as well.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 05:12:26 PM »
@Pabitra - I am puzzled why you think that good fiction writing stands in the way of doing good research. Note also that I mentioned the novel is set in Calcutta. It's not as if Bengal did not see the consequences of what happened in the Punjab. Anyway, it was a side remark only to whet people's appetite for learning more about the period in a relaxing way. Just like researching a coin.

Peter

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 07:01:11 PM »
@Peter: The political climate in Punjab was especially vitiated during that period due to arrest of top two leaders, 9 days before the local New Year Festivities. This resulted in attack on Ms. Marcella Sherwood and for which punishment was awarded to the entire area including those who were not involved or those who helped Ms. Sherwood.

Rowlatt Act itself was seen as back stabbing after all the support given to British Army during the World War I.

Somehow, the Bengal was comparatively peaceful around the time.
Thanks for side remark. I did end up my buying all the three books by Abir.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 09:49:39 PM »
I was thinking of buying his other books also. Please let us (or me) know what you think of the others.

Peter

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 04:11:28 AM »
I am not much into fiction but got them all ebooks as a single package.
My comments may not be worth any thing.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 08:50:08 AM »
I would like it if the subject of the possible Jallianwala Bagh Massacare coin were to be re-defined as a coin on Indian resistance against the Rowlatt Act. Whereas Jallianwala Bagh was a tragic and bloody accident of human importance, the Rowlatt Act was a wilful and considered political move against human rights, instigated by a judge (!), resisted by the Indian population as well as Gandhi and withdrawn. Defeating the Rowlatt Act is not just an important period for India's route to independence, it is a lesson for today's politicians.

If repeal of Rowlatt Act is to be commemorated then it may wait.
Rowlatt Act was repealed only in 1922.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 08:52:00 AM »
@betterphilately: Rana Kumbha life period is 1433 -1468.
What is to be commemorated?

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 12:15:35 AM »
@betterphilately: Rana Kumbha life period is 1433 -1468.
What is to be commemorated?

Sir, please search for Rana Kumbha 1419 on the internet and hopefully that will give more information. India's Culture ministry has decided to celebrate this event as well.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 06:44:35 AM »
The Annual Calendar issued by MoD, India this year has the theme " 20 years of Kargil Operations'.

As the Commem coins approval committee under Ministry of Culture, India seeks theme topics from State Gevernments as well as other Ministries of GoI, it is understood that MoD will recommend this topic.

Last time, this happened on a scale which resulted in issue of a coin was in 2015 when 1965 operations got the approval.

What is the opinion of other members?

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 11:06:29 PM »
Updated the list - a Rs 125 coin was recently approved for issuance on Paramahansa Yogananda.

• Coins & Stamps!
    • Better Philately
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »
Updated; now that the Rs 100 coin on Jallianwala Bagh Massacre has been approved for release.