Author Topic: Qajars, Nasir al-din / 50 dinars of Qazwin mint 1294AH  (Read 99 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Qajars, Nasir al-din / 50 dinars of Qazwin mint 1294AH
« on: January 11, 2019, 04:39:23 PM »
Scarcer mint than Teheran or Isfahan
"fifty dinars" under the lion  / "zarb dar al-Sultanat Qazwin 1294AH"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Qajars, Nasir al-din / 50 dinars of Qazwin mint 1294AH
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 10:52:33 PM »
Very interesting to see the two 50 dinars together. I was as surprised by the dar al-Khalifat Teheran (which Khalif?) as by the dar al-Sultanat Qazwin. Also, it looks like the lion on the Qazwin coin is looking left with a human face, or is that just the wear? The lion's head doesn't look symmetrical, which is what it would be if it were looking at you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Qajars, Nasir al-din / 50 dinars of Qazwin mint 1294AH
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »
I was as surprised by the dar al-Khalifat Teheran (which Khalif?) as by the dar al-Sultanat Qazwin. Also, it looks like the lion on the Qazwin coin is looking left with a human face, or is that just the wear?

I didn't notice the curious lion's head !...just the wear I think....from other coins (never in high grade) the lion has well a head of a lion..

- The caliph Harun al-Rashid (the one of the "Thousand and One Nights") was born near Teheran (at Ray, today Chahr-e Rey, in 765), that could be the origin of the epithet of the city?
- Nadir Shah has been crowned in Qazwin in 1739 AD and so,the city could be related with "abode of Sultanat Qazwin ?"
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)