Author Topic: 1 pahlavi rial crimped in a Islamic Republic ring !...  (Read 203 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
1 pahlavi rial crimped in a Islamic Republic ring !...
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:18:05 PM »
All is possible ! like this "token" which shows a coin of the last Shah Pahlavi (whose name has been systematically rubbed out after the Islamic revolution) crimped in a ring in name of the Islamic Republic of Iran !!  ::) ...

The coin is a genuine 1 rial of Iran dated 1353 / KM1183; the ring shows on a face a pseudo-farsi script intended to say "Islamic Republic of Iran"
on the other face, "Republica Islamica" could indicate a Romanian origin  ???
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1 pahlavi rial crimped in a Islamic Republic ring !...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
Fun! I think the Western script is in Latin (rather than Romanian). The combination of pill and ring makes it unlikely that it was made in or for Iran or even by exiled Iranians. The target audience was probably the European novelty market. Latin wouldn't fit with the US or Asia.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:58:36 PM »
latin shouldn't be "respublica" or "res publica" ?
I think that this "thing" and the engraver  have nothing to see with with Iran or iranian people; even a kid would have a finest writing !
I agree with you: it's one of these pseudo coins made only for "gogo" western  collectors"( in french slang).

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »
Fun! I think the Western script is in Latin (rather than Romanian). The combination of pill and ring makes it unlikely that it was made in or for Iran or even by exiled Iranians. The target audience was probably the European novelty market. Latin wouldn't fit with the US or Asia.

Peter

My vote for the language written in Latin characters is Spanish. It is lacking the acute accent on REPÚBLICA and similarly on ISLÁMICA which is technically required, but it is often omitted in block capitals. It isn't Latin, because the Latin for "republic" is "res publica" (usually two words, but even if combined, always with the S in the nominative). It also isn't Italian, as "repubblica" would have two Bs. It isn't Romanian because the feminine adjective ending is -ă, not -a, so it should read "islamică", and AFAIK diacritics are not omitted even on capitals in Romanian as they sometimes are in other Romance languages. The Portuguese for Iran is Irã, with tilde, no N.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
 Thank you for these linguistic precisions  :)
On the other face, the persian legend is " جمهوری اسلامی ایران  Islamic Republic of Iran" " very stylized, hardly legible but present.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:37:53 PM »
By chance, I found the origin of this curiosity : it was sealed in a postcard with a 5 rial stamp and postmark of Teheran dated  "6 / VIII /1987"...
still suspect  ???

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »
It's one of a set I think,
more from other places here;
NUMISBRIEF Algeria 5 Centimes 1974 with stamp - UNC - KM NUMALGERIA - Monete
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »
Thank you for showing us this commercial series of postcards dedicated to world coins.
Stamps and coins are genuine and I wonder why for Iran they have used a former Pahlavi rial mounted in a fantaisist ring and not a rial of the Islamic Republic?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
Franklin mint had a series of country "numiscovers", enveloppes with a cancelled stamp and a cheap coin of the same country in a little window. I suppose it is possible that the post card was inspired by this series, but I haven't found one like it for another country on the net.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 11:55:29 PM »
Thank you for showing us this commercial series of postcards dedicated to world coins.
Stamps and coins are genuine and I wonder why for Iran they have used a former Pahlavi rial mounted in a fantaisist ring and not a rial of the Islamic Republic?

Wonder if there were trade restrictions with Iran at point in time?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....